Chapter Twenty Six

"Why don't you invite him over for a make-up dinner since you're both off tonight?" Uncle John suggested. My aunt and uncle had been bugging me for the past three days, since Sunday,  to have Harry over. They were over-the-moon with the thought of me having a boyfriend.

"I'll call him right now. Don't be disappointed if he says he's busy," I warned while walking towards the phone. He seemed perfectly fine at school today, but never mentioned if he had anything to do after.  I dialed his number, which I had memorized by now, and waited for him to pick up. It was always him who answered so I never had a problem running into his mom or step-dad. He mentioned his step-dad was too drunk to answer and his mom was trying to work more hours at the nursery.

After a few seconds of ringing, a sweet voice answered, "Hey Lainey, is everything alright? You hardly call me."

"Yeah," I replied through a smile, "Are you busy? I've been driven to ask you to come over for dinner. Breakfast food?"

"That sounds great. I just got done with my homework. I'll leave right now," his tone was light. I could hear him shuffling in the background. 

"You don't have to. They just wanted me to ask you," I was hoping he would say no, but at the same time say yes. I was always in the mood to see Harry, but not always in the mood to endure the embarrassment from my aunt and uncle.

"Nah, I'll come. I miss you anyways," he gushed. I could sense his grin through the phone.

"It's only been a few hours," I chuckled, "You're such a sofite." 

"Not around you," Harry countered. It took a minute for me to understand the joke, but once I did, I was mentally facepalming.

"Okay, nice one. I'll see you soon. Bye," I bit my lip to keep myself from smiling like a total idiot.

"Bye baby," he sang before hanging up. I loved it when he called me baby. Obviously I wasn't going to tell him that because he would eternally make fun of me.

I hung the phone on its rack and went back to the living room where my aunt and uncle sat side-by-side. I gave them the news and Aunt Erin lifted herself to start dinner. I went to my room to clean myself up a bit. I was in some cotton shorts and a t-shirt with way too many stains on it. I also needed to switch my bra because this one was thin and not very supportive. Not like I had much to support in the first place.

I changed into a pale blue sweatshirt and black leggings. It wasn't much of a step-up, but I looked way better than I did. I brushed my ratty hair and pulled half of it up into a ponytail. I swiped some deodorant on and spritzed myself with vanilla body mist.

It was weird getting myself all decent-looking just for Harry. I've known him for almost three months and dated him for about one and a half. I had never cared this much about someone that I'd go out of my way to please them with my looks. Not even Charlie. I loved him, or what I thought was love, but he didn't make me yearn to put effort into seeing him. It sounds bad, I know.

Harry was here within twenty minutes and arrived at my doorstep with two bundles of flowers. He got me sunflowers, my favorite. He handed my aunt a bouquet of mixed flowers. She swooned. If she wasn't already married to my uncle, I was sure she was willing to go after Harry.

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Harper, I'm Harry Styles," he extended his hand to the both of them. They each took it and introduced themselves.

"Call us John and Erin, son. It makes us feel younger," my uncle joked. Harry chuckled and we all gathered around the kitchen table. He scooted his seat closer to mine and rested his hand on my knee. His nerves were getting to him, I could tell. I reached for his hand and rubbed my thumb over his fingers before intertwining them with mine.