Chapter Eight

Harry and I spent the whole day together. He had been quiet for the most part. When it was time to go home, he had begged me to stay longer, but I had to get home to my aunt and explain to her why I was gone from school all day. I figured she wouldn't be furious once I told her I was comforting Harry. I wasn't going to tell her exactly what happened because that was between Harry and I. I was just going to tell her I was consoling a friend in need. She didn't need to know we spent over an hour in a forest together.

I had missed the school bus, so the city bus would have to do. It didn't go directly to my house but stopped about a mile and a half away from it so the walk was about 30 minutes. The city bus was gross and dirty. The smell of sewage and diesel fuel radiated in the air around it. There wasn't anyone else, but an elderly couple on. I quickly boarded and gave the driver a couple of quarters to pay my fair.

It was an uncomfortable feeling and the worst thing was, that the ride was 45 minutes long. I would hopefully be home by six, at the latest. My aunt would definitely be pissed I wasn't home now. If she was even home, I never knew if she was going to be out or not. 'The church needs my help' or 'Pastor John is sick again so we have to take over service' was her excuse. I loved my aunt and uncle, I really did, but I wished they were home more.

To pass the time, I read my book and gazed out the window watching the passing scenery. There was nothing, but farmland and the occasional truck passing by. The sky started to get darker earlier due to the changing seasons. It was almost autumn and it being my second favorite season, besides summer, I was excited. The weather was perfect and the sunsets beat no other. Especially the ones here.

There was a time that my dad and Uncle John took me to the bluffs to watch the sunset. The sky was a brilliant red and was tinted with bright oranges and stunning yellows. My dad always told me I was lucky to see that sunset because no sunset was ever the same. Which was true. I made a vow to always watch the sunset so I could never forget. That vow didn't last long considering I was 4 years old, but it was the thought, right?

The bus came to a slow stop and opened its door allowing me to get out. I was hoping to get home before dark, but the sky had already started to dim. Thank god it was a straight shot here to my driveway otherwise I would probably get lost.

About 15 minutes into my walk I thought I was going to freeze from hypothermia. I went to school without a coat and it was nearing forty degrees. I held my body close together and shivered. Cars passed occasionally providing the tiniest bit of light, but up next to me pulled Niall.

"What the hell Elaine? Get in the car!" He shouted from the driver's seat. Without a second thought, I slid into the passenger seat. His blue eyes shot daggers into the side of my head.

"Am I going to get an explanation of why I haven't seen you all day? You worried me sick El," Niall lectured running his hand through his hair. He was going to be pissed I ran off to be with, or more comfort, Harry.

"Well," I dragged out the syllables. He looked at me furiously.

"Well, what? Were you out skipping with Harry? He wasn't here either. Elaine, I told you he's bad news and now he has you skipping school. I can't-"

"What makes you think you need to know everything I do? So what if I was with Harry? What if he needed me?" I yelled.

"So you were with him?" He chuckled bitterly, "Friends don't skip school together El. You were screwing him weren't you?"

I gasped in shock, "I seriously can't believe you, Niall. You said you would support me being friends with him and for your information, I was comforting him. He was upset and I comforted him. Isn't that what friends do? Why do you assume every time I spend time with him we fuck? Do you really think I'm that kind of girl?" Niall pulled over to the side of the road.