Chapter Forty Five

Harry

My first instinct was to call Elaine. That would just fuck her up even more. I still had her number memorized, but calling her would ruin whatever progress she's hopefully made. I know how she can get after something traumatic happens and its not pretty. I know I could've prevented that heartache yet, I had to leave. 

I still felt guilty for leaving. I couldn't not leave, though. I'd promised her I'd stay with her and I didn't. Now that she knew who killed her dad, I bet things were going horribly at home. That's even if her aunt and uncle told her what was going on. I highly doubt they did. It still made me mad thinking that someone would betray my angel, I mean Elaine, like that.

To try to get over my feelings for Elaine, I've decided to stop referring to her as my angel. Along with that, my mom suggested visualizing my future without her. That was going to be hard because I had always hoped that my future would be with Elaine, even if she didn't feel the same way. It was hard to think that I could end up with someone else. 

In the back of my head, I knew that there was a low chance of ever seeing her again. I tried to be optimistic that I would, in fact, be with her again. Even if I did meet up with her one day, how would I know she'd forgive me. I left her with the only explanation being in a note.

It was rough having to go to work and see all of those kids, knowing that I'd never be a parent alongside her. It was easy today. I only had four kids to watch after, one of them being Jacklynn. This morning she came in with a princess tiara for me to wear. It's her birthday and her dad couldn't afford to throw her a party.

 To celebrate, those who are in class today will be participating in a tea party. I brought some juice from home today to act as tea. Five-year-olds aren't the biggest fan of tea. I also spent the rest of my night, after the cop left, baking cupcakes and cookies for the big tea time today. 

I was so worked up that I baked enough to go around every classroom. I made sure that the desserts were catered to every child's allergies and intolerances. Also for her birthday, I wore a pink polka-dotted button-up. Pink is Jacklynn's favorite color and I just so happen to have a variety of shirts in that color.

"Hazza! We having a real tea party!" She giggled as I poured the 'tea'.

"What makes this one more real than the others?" I looked down at her and my tiara tipped forward. I pushed it back up and fluffed the feathers sticking up from the brim.

"You gotta silly accent Hazza! Like the princess in the movies!" Her tiny hand felt around on the counter. It found a cookie and directed it right into her mouth.

"My accent is silly?" I joked, "You have a silly accent! Now save those cookies for the others too. You're getting so big! You're a whole hand old now!" Jacklynn was the last to turn five in my classroom. She stuck out her hand, covered in cookie crumbs, and slowly counted them.

"One...Two...Four, no three then four... and five!" She touched the tip of each one as she counted. Crumbs trickled to the ground. I groaned internally, knowing that picking that up was part of my job. It was worth it, though. It made Jacklynn happy. 

"That's awesome counting, Jacklynn!" I said while enthusiastically shimmying my hands. I tend to put on an exuberant act around them. It encourages them to continue the good behavior I praise them for. When working with young kids, especially those who have a hard time grasping certain things, I find it important to let them know they're doing a good job.

"I know that Hazza. I'm really mart 'member?" I chuckled at her mistake.

"You're smart," I exaggerated the s sound. The young girl stuck her tongue between her teeth and blew air out trying to mimic me.