Chapter Nineteen

I hate roller skating. The only thing I ever accomplished with it, is falling. My balance is the worst thing about me. I can hardly stand correctly, let alone stand on wheels. Mad respect for all the people who roller skate competitively. Especially the roller derby people. That shits crazy. These quarterback-like people ram into each other on wheels. It's nuts.

Despite my hatred and unsophisticated ways with roller-skating, here I was on my first date with Harry, tying my roller skates. I have no idea what was going through my head when I started driving to the roller rink in the next town over. Liam had told me about it once, he said his aunt worked here. I knew nothing else about it.

"Have you ever roller skated before?" I asked while tying my skates in a double knot. Harry shook his head no. Perfect. I was totally going to fall and break my neck. In fourth grade, we went on a field trip to the roller rink. I don't know why, but we did. I was doing perfectly fine holding onto the wall, but some asswipe decided to tease me. I wanted to show him who's boss, it wasn't me, and race him. Long story short, as soon as I left the wall I fell. I tried to steady myself with my arm and I broke it. Just wait, there's more. While I was lying in agony, the same asswipe came around and ran over my fingers. Talk about luck.

"You ready?" Harry stands up next to me with perfect balance.

"Depends, are you ready? I'm warning you now, my roller skating skills are trash," I babbled. I was trying to do everything in my power to keep my butt on this bench.

"We'll learn together then, yeah?" Damn Harry and his charm. It was a shame I was such a fool for this shit. He extended his arm to me and I stood unsteadily. My heart was racing.

Harry started to roll towards the rink and I scrambled behind him. My incoordination is one of the most embarrassing things about me, behind my word vomit. For some reason, Harry must think it's attractive. Either that or he secretly makes fun of me for it. I would be fine with both ways. It would be weird if he thought it was attractive. Uncoordinated people are the worst kind of people if you ask me. I guess that would make me a hypocrite because I'm so heavy-handed.

My knees started to shake once we entered. Why was this floor so goddamn slick? For the rollerskates dumbass, my consciousness was my real best friend. She? He? They always had the nicest things to say.

My ass collided with the floor with a loud thump, "Well goddamnit," I shouted a tad too loud. My hand was quick to cover my mouth. Harry was almost doubled over in laughter. He had let go of my hand before I fell.

"How's it going down there?" He asked between chuckles.

"You let go of me you little fucker," I accused. It wasn't really an accusation because he did let go of me.

"Sorry Lainey, you really aren't good at this, are you?" I answered with a 'duh' look on my face. I crawled over to the wall and pulled myself up.

"Thanks for the help ass-crack," I retorted. Harry was still howling. I grumbled a few choice words before scampering to the exit. A pair of muscular arms, I'm only assuming is Harry's, pull my waist back into the rink. My body goes stiff. I recognize the rings on his hands and relax a little bit. His hair brushes against my neck as he goes to kiss my cheek. I turn away in spite of him.

"You didn't help me. Who says you deserve that?" I joke lightly. He then lets his arms go and I go free. My eyes open wide and my arms go straight in front of me as I head for a wall. Before I could hit it, he grabbed my wrist and pulled me to face him.

"I'm only trying to help you, love," Harry says while I skate backward. How was I even supposed to do this? I couldn't stay steady with him here, let alone without him.