Chapter Twenty

I pulled into the school parking lot and parked in the spot that was assigned to me. It felt weird not riding the bus with Niall. I told him I would ride it with him, but he insisted I drove. He was probably getting annoyed that I woke him up on Monday's. I would too if I were him.

Today felt different. I had made up (and made out) with Harry, I drove to school, and it was actually cold. Who knew the end of September could get so chilly. At night it would get down to sixty, but today was supposed to be about forty-five. I wore a tight brown long-sleeved shirt and Levi's. I kind of looked like garbage, but it was cold and I wanted to be warm.

I didn't know what Harry's plan was. Were we going to tell everyone we were miraculously going out or keep it down low unless we made things official? I had to make sure to pack on some concealer this morning, the hickey he left me was dark and of course in the most obvious spot on my neck. I managed to hide it from my aunt and uncle, but teenagers were keener on the subject.

I locked my car and walked through the front doors towards my locker. My heart skipped a beat when I saw Harry leaning against my locker, reading a book. Only Harry would read while waiting for me. He didn't notice I was coming until I was right in front of him. He looked concentrated, his lips were pursed. His eyes met mine and a smile formed on both of our faces.

"Hey," I sighed. Harry moved out of my way. I tugged on my lock a few times before opening my locker. I swapped out some books before slamming it shut. I leaned against my locker and Harry stood in front of me.

"Hey," He responded, quite late for that if you ask me. His eyes raked my body up and down before he licked his lips. I suddenly felt uneasy. I've never had someone look at me like that. How was I supposed to react? Being that weirdo I am, I struck a few poses which caused Harry to chuckle. He came back and pulled me into a hug. He was being oddly clingy this morning. I wasn't complaining, but school wasn't a place he liked to show affection. He let go of me and cupped my cheeks. I guess we are being open about this.

He pulled me in for a light kiss before Louis started running through the hallway screaming 'NO NO NO WAY WE DON'T LIKE PDA'. I buried my head in Harry's chest. I peeked out the side and saw my whole friend group following behind him. My face was hot and beet red. Harry took his arms from around me which left me facing my extremely confused friends.

"What's," I cleared my throat, "What's up guys?" I stammered. Their faces read confusion and satisfaction coming from Louis. He teased me about Harry the most, after Eleanor of course. They were perfect for each other in every sense I guess.

"Do you two have anything to tell us?" Niall asked, slightly aggravated. I knew this wouldn't go over well with him. He has been getting along with Harry, but as I've mentioned, he's my big brother. He's going to be somewhat protective.

"Surprise," I sang with jazz hands. How were you supposed to explain to your friends that you are now dating your best friend? It was quite complicated.

"Elaine asked me out for a date yesterday and how could I say no? She's pretty great," Harry explains while simultaneously saving my ass. A talented man.

"So Elaine asked you?" Niall was stunned. He was probably going to chew my ass out about not telling him sooner, but I couldn't use the landline when I got home. Uncle John was on it for hours. 

"Yeah, it was a spur of the moment kind of thing. Hey, look, I have to go," I hesitated, "clean the library. See you guys later."

I practically ran towards the library. I've only been there once, but it was an escape from that extremely awkward conversation. The big wooden doors creaked open and it seemed like something from a Scooby-Doo comic strip or something. The only person in there was an elderly lady knitting at the front desk. Rows and rows of bookshelves lined the room. Each row was marked with a category and sorted a-z. The door creaked open again revealing Harry. He came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist.