Chapter Forty Nine

"Elaine, I'm not asking you again," Eleanor scolded, "Actually, I'm telling you. You are going to the fall dance. End of discussion," she was insistent upon me going to this dance. I wasn't in the right mood for it. I couldn't dance for shit either. I'd embarrass myself five minutes into the damn thing. I wasn't worried about not having a date. I could have fun without a man, right? 

"But why," I threw my head back and groaned. Eleanor came over to Niall's house to hang out. I would've had Niall hang out too, but he was on his date with Carmen. No. Carlie? No. Charlie. Yeah, that was it. I think. He was so excited about the date that he barely talked to me. I don't blame him because I was kind of a bitch that morning anyway. 

I've been stressing about the interview with Gemma lately. Go figure. Not because I was nervous with her. I had a whole scholarship and quite frankly my relationship if you could even call it that, with Harry riding on this one interview. If I ruined this, my future could get shit on. There was no thinking positively about this. Smaller things, such as this dance, I could deal with however my career was more important. I got to the point of my recovery where I began to care about things again; I started to realize how much I neglected my academics. I was doing good in school, but not as good as I'd like to.

"You are seventeen years old and need to live your life. Plus, I'm going," she wasn't stepping down. She was just as hard-headed as Louis. I don't know how many times I could express how perfect they were for each other. 

"Yeah, and be the third wheel with you and Louis, no thanks," I shifted my weight from my knees to my butt. I leaned my back against my pillows.

"Good point," she added, "Zayn and Liam don't have dates. You could chill with them."

I bit my lip and nodded, "That's a possibility."

Eleanor straightened her posture, "So that's a yes?"

"I said it's a possibility," I cracked a smile.

"I'm taking that as a yes," she shimmied her shoulders. I guess I was going. How could I say no? Hanging out with Zayn and Liam won't be horrible. I didn't talk to them as much as I did everybody else, but they were my friends nevertheless. Liam, I talked to about biochemistry. Zayn, on the other hand, and I had zero classes. I only saw him in the mornings and the occasional wave in the hallway.

"Fine. I still have that dress we got at the thrift store to wear," I added. She shook her head widely in acceptance.

"You're gonna look stunning," Eleanor grinned.

Feet thudded against the hardwood steps leading to the second level. It sounded like a herd of elephants. I'd only been living with Niall for a little over two weeks and I already memorized what he sounded like going up the stairs. I sprung from my bed and motioned for Eleanor to follow me. I shuffled light-footedly to my door. Just as I was about to open it, another force prevented me from doing so. The heavy wood door collided with my forehead. The impact shot a numbing pain on my temple. I stumbled backward and my hand flew to the spot that was bright red.

"Oh shit," Niall cursed. He rushed to my side and guided me to the bed. My vision went in and out of use.

"Damnit Niall how hard do you have to swing the door open?" I scolded, "Fuck this hurts. Can you go get an ice pack or something?"

"On it," Eleanor rushed. She was up and down the stairs within seconds. You wouldn't have thought she left. Or it's my lack of time awareness. That was a strong possibility since my head feels like it's going to explode. She returned with a cold pack wrapped in a dark towel. Niall took it in his hand and dabbed it on my forehead. I hissed at the stinging sensation.