Chapter Ten

A/N

TW before reading. Later in this chapter descriptions abuse will be mentioned. If this triggers you, please skip the chapter. This will be the first and only time I will be warning you. The rest of the book will be untold. Take care of yourselves and tpwk! XX

I was so excited to go to the carnival today. In my whole existence, I had only been to one. The only thing I recall was the game where you could win a goldfish. I used all of my birthday money to win one just to have it die the next day. We had a funeral and everything.

I stood in front of my closet and sifted through my hangers. I pulled out one of the new clothes Aunt Erin had chosen for me. It was a black sheer blouse. Underneath it, I wore a black tank top I borrowed from my aunt. I slipped the blouse on and instead of buttoning it, I tied it at the bottom. I paired it with light-wash jeans. My hair was left down and I swiped some cherry chapstick across my lips.

I took a look in my full-length mirror and was satisfied. I slipped some socks and shoes on and left a note for my aunt and uncle telling them where I was. They had a booth at the fair as well, but they had to leave early to set it up. It was a booth for the church that they did every year. Something about a prayer circle. I couldn't really care less about it. They asked me to join them, but I obviously had prior engagements. That and I wasn't too fond of the other churchgoers, as they were not fond of me. They strongly disagreed against my decision to not become a member of the church so we just kept our distance.

Harry was already waiting outside in a 1976 chevy laguna. He looked very handsome. His curls were held up by a bandana and he wore a plain white shirt and black pants. The simplicity of his look lets you admire his features more.

"What's up Lainey?" He unlocked the doors and allowed me to slide in. His car smelled clean. Thank gosh because I don't think I could stand a dirty car. It was a pet peeve of mine.

"Lainey? That's new," I commented as he started driving. I like the nickname, it was way better than boring old Elaine. I didn't hate my name, it was just plain.

"Yeah, you don't like it?" He asked, scrunching his eyebrows.

"No it's nice, just surprised is all," Harry rolled down the windows. It was such a nice day out. The warm sun beat down on my arm, which stuck out the window. Music was playing in the background, but I paid it no mind. Everything seemed so calm and chill that nothing could ruin this moment. I felt so at ease.

We arrived at the fairgrounds and there were tons of vendors setting up, "I promised lunch, but the place I wanted to take you was closed. Are you opposed to carnival food? There's this amazing burger stand," Harry opened the car door for me. I thanked him and nodded.

His hand slipped into mine, fitting perfectly. His rings felt cold against my warm skin. Harry looked at me with a twinkle in his eye and a small grin across his face. I felt like my heart was going to melt when he looked at me like that. 

The fairground was fairly large and it was already about half full of booths. Harry pulled me closer as he led me to a booth that had a grill and a couple of condiment tables set up. It smelled like a classic American cook-out. I inhaled deeply.

"Harry, my boy, how are you?" A British man called out. Harry's dad maybe.

"Gary, this is my friend, Elaine," Harry introduced, releasing my hand. I shot the man a smile. Gary handed us two plates with a burger on each.

"On the house. Harry, thanks for tutoring Kinsey the other day. She can finally multiply fractions, it's a miracle," Harry smiled sheepishly.

"Thank you, it's no big deal. Kinsey is a good kid," Harry took the plates and led me to another booth, the one I presumed was his. I don't know how so many people took Harry as a bad guy. Yeah, he was shy and could be a bit of a dick at first, but once he let you in, he was the sweetest guy. He tutored children for god's sake.