Thirty Two: More

“As I was saying, this is Alice. We went to school with her. You will know her as Alley Cat,” I explain to the younger members, who stand there dumbfounded. 

“Well you always had a thing for cats,” Karen pointed out.

“We all knew she had more than a thing for cats.”

The others laugh and Alice glares at me. “Hey hey! You had a Nightwing, I had a cat.” More laughs erupt around the room. Good, she’s fitting in.

I smile Nightwing, who just stands there with his arms folded. “Spent three hours teaching her,” I whisper. He just turns around and opens a screen.

Misty wakes up with a groan, rubbing her head.

Nightwing begins playing a new report by the old codger G. Gordon Godfrey. A partnership between Alexander Luthor’s company and The Reach.

“Obviously, any partnership between The Reach and Lex Luthor is bad news. So Alpha and Beta are going under cover to re-con Lex Corp farms. Alpha will concentrate on their main dome, whilst  Beta pays attention to the surrounding areas. Robin, you’ll be running Alpha.”

“Me? Run Alpha?…Uh, right! Who’s on the squad?” Tim sounds surprised. I smile.

“Blue Beetle-“

“Woah! I should not be on the field esse. What if the Scarab goes all Reach Apocalypse?”

“Your Scarab has had multiple opportunities to betray us. It hasn’t. And right now, it’s connection to the Reach may be our only shot at identifying what they’re up to,” Nightwing tells him.  

Daphne takes his hand reassuringly. The two smile at each other.

“Well if Blue’s going, I’m going,” Bart announces, speeding in front of the couple.

Nightwing smiles. “I assumed as much. And last, but not least, Arsenal. But you’ll have to travel lighter for your first mission; nothing that won’t fit under civilian clothing. Any questions?”

“Yeah,” Arsenal begins. I sigh, ready to begin a battle. “Why are we meeting in this dump?”

Before Nightwing can answer, I do.

“With the cave and the hall of justice destroyed, we don’t have many other options,” I say.

“Except the Watchtower. It’s national news now. You can’t pretend it doesn’t exist.”

“Only Justice Leaguers and senior members of the team are authorised for the tower, Arsenal. You, do not qualify. Nor will you until you have shown as much dedication to this team as the rest of your comrades.”