Forty One: Breaking or Broken

:D See? I promised!

~

“You are a beautiful one.”

I stare at the songstress Doctor Fate has taken me to. “Thank you,” I reply awkwardly. Nabu and I stand here in her cottage in the woods.

Cliché, yes, but I need her help. We were barely through the door when she said I was beautiful. Sort of caught me off guard…

“Emerald Star, this is the Earth’s Songstress, Kariana. Kariana, this is the Emerald Star of the Justice League’s co-ops.”

“Come now, Nabu,” Kariana stands from her seat and walks into the light.

Forget what she said about me- she is beautiful. Her hair is a blue-black colour. It reaches her mid-thighs and her eyes are a familiar emerald green.

With the sharpest bone structure I have ever seen, I felt as though she should be the one taking a model job, not me.

“We are all magic here…” she glances at me, then waves her hand. My Emerald Star uniform recedes, revealing my Midnight clothes. “We may all show our true form.”

“She’s no true form of mine,” I snap.

“Not yet. But that’s why you are here, correct?”

Before I can answer, there is a low growling to my right. A black, very large animal comes creeping out of the shadows. It reminded me of an over-grown puma.

“What is that?” I ask.

“A Palmeri. It senses sentimental value.”

I flinch when the animal, whose head towers over mine, leans down to my neck and sniffs. Sentimental value…as in the Grayson necklace Dick gave me.

“What is it around your neck?” A new voice asks. A girl steps out. Before I can answer, Kariana tell her to be quiet.

“Emerald Star, this is one of my protege’s, Dusk.” Dusk is a tall, lanky girl with short light brown hair. Maybe she’s seventeen? 

I nod to her. She gives me a cold look and struts away.

“Don’t mind her,” a small voice says from behind me. My head turns to see a much smaller girl, maybe twelve or thirteen. She smiles at me.

“Hello I’m Twilight,” she says lightly. Her hair is literally white. Her eyes are a shocking, sparkling gold colour. “Dusk is just angry, that’s all!”

“Oh, alright then. I’m Emerald Star,” I say. She smiles, then disappears into thin air.

“So are they both your proteges?” I ask Kariana.

“Yes. Twilight has potential but lacks much. Dusk battles well but with rare potential,” she says. “Tell me,” she leads us over to a table. “What could I do for you? You need a songstress spell. Surely you know how to make those.”