16.4

Zoe is sweeping the kitchen when the landline began to ring. Zoe quickly answers the phone, not knowing who it could be.

"Hello?" Zoe answers.

"Is this Zoe Logan?" Stasiak asks.

"This is she," Zoe answers confused.

"This is Agent Stasiak," Stasiak says causing Zoe to fear the worst. "I'm afraid to tell you that Leticia Ortiz has been murdered." Zoe stands there shocked, knowing she had seen the woman three days ago. "Zoe?"

"Uh... ah.. Thank you for letting me know of Letty's passing," Zoe quickly says before hanging up. Zoe holds back tears as she dials Mia's number.

"Hey, Zoe! What's up!" Mia answers causing Zoe to freeze at how happy she sounds. A few tears roll down Zoe's face as she tries to think of what to say. "Zoe?"

"Mia, you need to come home for a few days," Zoe tells her.

"Zoe, what's wrong?" Mia asks concerned.

"It's Letty. She's been murdered," Zoe answers her as the tears really start to flow.

"Okay. Zoe, I'm booking the next flight out," Mia quickly tells her. Zoe lets out a shaky breath as she hangs up. She leans against the wall behind her before sliding down. She then did the one thing that she was dreading, calling Dom. A little Hispanic boy answers the phone before Zoe asks for Dom.

Dom is underneath a car as he works on it before a little boy runs up to him. The boy tells him, in Spanish, that he has a phone call. Dom walks over to the phone confused.

"Dom," Zoe says as she holds back tears.

"Zoe, I told you never to call me here," Dom tells her.

"Dom, it's Letty. She's been murdered," Zoe says as she chokes back a whole new wave of tears. "I know you want to come home but I beg you not to. I'm sure the cops are already staking this place out. Just be safe, whatever you do."

Mia arrived early the next morning before they went to find out any information that they could about Letty's death.

Two days after receiving the phone call, the funeral was held.

"We have gathered here to pay our final respects to, Leticia Ortiz. Let us reflect on her journey..." The priest says as Zoe and Mia hold onto each other out of comfort. Dom watches the two and the funeral from the hill above the cemetery before he leaves.

"Facial recognition software matched Toretto about 10 minutes after he crossed the border," Stasiak says as he stands beside Brian, who's eyes hadn't left Zoe. "I don't get it. I thought he'd show." Brian looks up at the hill feeling as if someone had been there.