Chapter 8: Mistake

Oscar

"No disrespect boss, but why have you let her go. She could still be behind this".

Grabbing John's collar, I pulled him tightly to my face and glared at him.

"Do you think I'd be that naive to let her go? Do you take me for a damn fool?" I growled as I pulled him closer towards me with anger in my eyes.

"N-no boss. I'm sorry for doubting you" John quivered as he lowered his eyes to the floor in fear at my outburst.

"By letting her go and thinking she's off the hook, she will go back to normality and then we will see who she sees and who she speaks to. A guilty person's true intentions will soon come to light when they think they've gotten away with it. I want eyes on her at all times, is that clear?".

John and my other men all responded with a firm "yes Sir" before dismissing themselves back to their positions around the house and some getting in cars to keep tabs on the little fire cracker.

She was definitely hiding something, but I wasn't sure what yet. As much as I resented myself for looking weak and letting her go, I didn't want Sofia getting too attached to someone that may or may not be responsible for her kidnapping.

"Kane, have Hannah watch over Sofia this afternoon, I need to relieve some stress in the dungeon and this time, bloody lock the door afterwards. I do not ever want Sofia going down there again, is that clear?".

"Crystal clear boss".

*****************

Eleanor

Slamming my front door shut I groaned loudly as I threw my stuff down and collapsed on the sofa still surrounded by darkness as I couldn't be arsed to switch any lights on.

"You liar".

A shrill scream escaped my throat as a manly voice echoed around my room.

I looked up in horror and grabbed the nearest object, a pillow and threw it in the direction where the voice was coming from.

"Really Elle, a pillow?".

"You jerk, how the hell did you get in my house".

Cal switched the light on looking like a super villain in the corner of the room. All he needed was a cat to stroke and that would perfect the look.

"I know the building code as you're not very discreet about it and I secretly took a copy of your key without your knowledge a while ago. So you gonna tell me where you were. Frankie told me that you were ill so I brought you some home made chicken noodle soup and some of your favourite snacks. But you weren't here".

Cal glared at me and shook his head in disbelief. But what was I to say? I had witnessed a crime and had almost been tortured for a crime I didn't commit. But something seemed strange when he let me go without a care. I didn't want to risk telling anyone in case he was some sort of mafia boss, which I highly doubt it.

"Yeah, ok I was feeling really sick but I had a family emergency so I had to go away for a bit" I lied, but I could tell Cal was sceptical.

"Right, okay".

I wanted to tell someone what I went through, but I wasn't sure how he'd take it. A part of me contemplated going to the police about everything I had seen and even to the creepy basement but something told me that things could get worse if I told anyone about it. 

"Anyway, I need to leave as I have an evening shift at the cafe, but I'll see you tomorrow right? You have no idea how bad I missed my favourite customer".