Chapter 31: Birthday surprise

2 weeks later

Oscar

These past 2 weeks have been the weirdest weeks of my entire life.

I openly admitted that I cared for Eleanor and now I had been ordered to take her out on a nice date. I thought dates were usually supposed to be planned by the man, but in this case my daughter had every say. 

I still couldn't get over the day when I walked outside hearing some commotion and saw my angel with her clipboard checking the delivery that some man in a van brought over. Brian pretty much yelled at me to go away as it was private business and Sofia the ruthless monkey agreed with him.

As for me and Eleanor, things were a little awkward. Eleanor had been avoiding me for some reason. If she was in a room that I came into then she'd make up an excuse and leave. I didn't question her behaviour as I understood girls have their mood swings.

God help me when it happens to Sofia.

Sofia being the sweet tempered little lady, she spent a lot of time with Eleanor speaking to her and after a while Eleanor seemed happy to spend time with me. 

I didn't blame her. Things were seemingly starting to get serious with us and perhaps that scared her. After all, I was a mafia don and had dangers lurking around every corner. 

Truthfully I should be the one saying persuading her to stay away. I could easily kick her out, threaten her or insult her and make her hate me. But I couldn't. She had somehow grown on me. Besides Sofia would probably hate me for the rest of my life.

Even though being with me would be a curse and a nightmare, deep down I craved to be loved by someone. I was scared to date after Erika. I was scared of giving my all to someone who'd then abuse my trust. But Sofia loved Eleanor. She trusted Eleanor and I trusted my daughter. 

"Daddy!".

"Hm?".

Sofia placed both of her hands on her hips and glared at me.

"Did you hear what I said?".

"Of course".

Sofia's frown suddenly vanished and instead smiled widely at me.

"Good. Come on, the date is soon to start and you as the gentleman need to be on time to collect your date".

"Baby, how am I supposed to collect my date when I don't know anything about it?".

Sofia froze on the spot looking as if she was deep in thought.

"Oh, yeah. Silly me" she giggled as she bonked herself on her head.

Looking at myself in the mirror, I sighed heavily at Sofia's outfit choice. I loved it all. The suit, the shoes but oh fuck, the tie. 

"Baby, did you get me this tie or was it Brian? And tell me the truth".

Picking up the end of the tie that I had reluctantly put on, I glared at the bright yellow smiley faces looking straight back at me.

"It was Brian. He said you needed it bad. Like really really bad".

Of course it would be him. 

"Did he now?".

"Hm, but seriously daddy you need to get going".

"But baby where are we going? Is there a car ready?".

Sofia jumped off the chest of drawers and shook her head.

"Uh, you're not going to an expensive restaurant. That's boring. Your date will be in the garden".

Sofia winked at me before reaching into her pocket and pulled out a little note. She attached the little piece of paper to Oreo's collar and muttered for him to find Brian.