Chapter 18: Suspicious

Cal

Another day gone and she still hasn't shown up again.

I loved Elle, but something was up and I had to get to the bottom of it. She didn't even text me to say she got home safely from the nightclub.

She was a strong and smart person, but this was so out of character, even for her. But it seemed that no-one seemed to care. I felt as though I was the only one that was worried for her.

I knew she wasn't at home with her family. She'd always send me a selfie with the family dog whenever she went back.

My body was at work, but my mind was on Eleanor. I had contemplated calling the police, but I didn't want to cause any unnecessary hassle if she simply had an private issue going on.

Suddenly Frankie walked in with a few other girls, smiles lighting up on their faces as they talked incessantly to Frankie who was in the center of the group.

"O-Oh Cal, you don't normally work this late".

Frankie seemed surprised to see me, as if she was hoping I would not be here.

"Yeah, I'm taking on a few extra shifts to survive".

Frankie nodded and quickly evaded eye contact with me as she began texting on her phone.

Why does it seem like she doesn't care about where Eleanor is?

"Have you seen Elle?".

Frankie's eyes flew to mine, a strange and unusual expression could be seen in them. 

"I-I was just about to ask you the same thing. I haven't".

"Yeah, she's probably skiving. Too bad for her she's lost the lead role and it's been given to Frank" one of Frankie's friends jumped in.

"Trolls aren't welcome in this coffee shop".

The girl took a step back and huffed loudly mumbling how she'd report me to the manager, little did the bitch know, I was the manager.

"Y-You got her part? Just like that?".

Frankie was acting so strange. She knew how much this role meant to Elle, but she acted like she didn't give a damn.

"Yeah. I tried to beg Yolanda to give Elle one more chance, but she said she had no other option. I just hope she's okay, wherever she is. I do feel sorry for taking her part".

Frankie smiled sadly before looking down at her phone.

"You don't sound it" I replied bluntly. I had always been a blunt person, but everything about Frankie's reaction screamed strange.

Frankie looked up at me with a glare on her face and shook her head.

"I am! Elle wanted this part, but she's thrown it away. Therefore it was passed onto me. End of story. Why can't you just be happy for me Cal?".

"Because you're acting like you don't give a shit that Eleanor is missing. She never came home from the club and I'm going to find out where the hell she is".

Frankie was seething with her fists clenched tightly together. I had never seen this side to her and I knew she was hiding something. I'm not stupid.

"Come on girls, this cafe sells overpriced hipster coffee. Let's go".

Frankie left the cafe with the stuck up girls she was with and glared at me before walking away down the road.

"Girl trouble huh?" Roger chuckled as he placed a hefty tip into the tip jar.

"They just won't let me be".

Roger let out a light laugh and patted a hand on my shoulder.

He was the sweetest man and by far my favourite customer.

Roger always came in at the same time every day dressed in his finest suit with a single rose. Him and his wife used to come into this cafe every single day to order lunch. They had been married for 79 years, but he lost his wife last year due to cancer. It didn't stop him from fulfilling their little tradition every single day.

"You'll eventually find the right one son. Thanks again for your wonderful hospitality".

Roger placed his hat on and walked out of the cafe with a smile on his face.

I always loved having Roger come in. He always brightened my mood, but not this time. I still felt uneasy about Elle and after my shift I was going to go to her home and find out what the hell was going on.

*******

2 hours later

Pulling out the key I had for Elle's flat, I hesitated outside her door unsure of what I would find. I prayed that she would be in there ill or either sulking about something.

But something told me that that would not be the case.

Swiftly inserting the key into her lock, I turned the key round and pushed the door open. 

Hurrying myself in so nobody got suspicious, I closed the door behind me and locked it in case anyone got any funny ideas.

Turning back around, I looked around the apartment hoping to find my chickpea, but she wasn't here. But the apartment wasn't empty.

"Who the hell are you two?".

One of the dark figures flicked the lamp on and smiled at me with a sinister expression.

"Hello handsome".

A slim woman stood up and sauntered over to me. 

"I said who the hell are you and where is Eleanor?".

The other dark figure stood up from their spot on the sofa and walked up behind her.

He was an older man, but he looked very familiar. Had he been a customer that I served?

"You shouldn't have stuck your nose into other people's business Cal" the man chuckled as he stared at a photo frame of Elle's family.

"How do you know my name? Who are you people?".

The woman walked up to me and stroked her sharp red nail along my jawline.

"There's a lot you don't know Cal, but you'll find out in due time. Take him away".

Suddenly someone came up behind me and placed a cloth over my mouth.

I threw my elbows back hoping to startle the attacker and stop them from what they were doing.

But their grip only tightened even more and the foul smell lingered up into my nostrils before invading my throat.

I had no hope.

I knew something was wrong. I knew from the moment I found out she was missing and something had been confirmed to me in the midst of all this chaos.

Frankie was definitely involved in Eleanor's kidnapping.

Sorry it's short, but I felt it was right to end it here.

Besides, there will probably be another update soon :)