Chapter 48: There's always hope

Eleanor

I had just killed someone, but I felt no shame. I don't know why I was acting this way. Maybe it was because I was now carrying the child of one of the biggest mafia leaders. Like Sofia, this baby was now a target. I had a duty to protect. 

Stepping into the shower, I switched the water on and waited for it to heat up to the perfect temperature. Once it was right, I stepped under the water and washed off the blood that splattered on my body and face.

My eyes were fixated on the red water at the bottom of the shower watching it as it went down the drain. 

I don't know if it was the lack of sleep or the fact that I had just killed someone, but my eyes started to fill with tears. My body grew heavy and the room started to spin. The one person I wanted more than anything wasn't here.

He should be holding me, kissing my stomach, promising to look after us and cuddling me telling me everything was going to be alright. How I longed to hear his voice.

Resting my head on the glass of the shower screen, I screamed out at the pain in my chest. The pain of finding someone only to lose them. 

"Why are you crying beautiful?".

I froze on the spot feeling a pair of strong arms wrap around my naked waist. His gentle voice echoing around the large bathroom. Closing my eyes, I leaned my head back and laughed in relief feeling his breath fan my ears.

"Oscar" I breathed out as both of his hands rested on my stomach. His fingers stroked on my bare skin in a soothing circular motion. Who knew his hands had such powers. Just one touch soothed every part of my aching body and head. He was always so gentle.

"I am so proud of you" he whispered into my ear as he wrapped his arms gently over my stomach almost as if he was a shield to both me and our baby.

"I-I missed you so much Oscar".

I couldn't help but whimper as his lips pressed delicately against my neck. 

"I know baby, but you know I'd always come back to you. I'm so sorry for hurting you. Forgive me Eleanor".

I couldn't help the tears at his soft words. I forgave him the moment he jumped in front of the gun. 

"I-I forgive you".

Oscar's grip tightened around my stomach and nuzzled his face into my neck.

"You've got a strong mum little one. The strongest woman I have ever met. I promise little one, you are going to grow to be just like her. Daddy loves you always".

I looked down at my stomach with the biggest smile. The baby was responding to him. We stood there both feeling the excitement of the little baby who was kicking and moving.

"I love you Eleanor, don't you ever forget that" he whispered into my ear.

As I opened my eyes, I looked down confused at the loss of his arms. Spinning around in the shower, I went to wrap my arms around him and kiss him properly, but no-one was there. No-one had ever been there.

"O-Oscar?".

"OSCAR!".

Falling to the floor of the shower, I looked up at the shower head and sobbed. He was gone. I was starting to imagine him just like Sofia was.

"Please come home to us. P-please".

Knowing I couldn't stand it any longer, I switched the water off and rushed out of the shower. 

Tying my hair up in a bun and slipping on a nightdress and gown, I left our bedroom and made my way downstairs.

It was late and most people except for guards were asleep. But even those who saw me didn't stop to question the tears I was shedding. They knew exactly where I was going and did not try and stop me.