Chapter 44: Unexpected

Oscar

Sofia must have been exhausted.

After speaking with her for 5 minutes, her beautiful eyes fell shut. No matter how hard she fought, she could not escape the sheer exhaustion she felt.

"Boss!" Brian whispered with urgency.

Jumping up from the armchair, I signalled all the bodyguards to watch over her until I got back and followed Brian out of the bunker.

"What's going on? Is it Eleanor?".

Brian looked back at me and gave me an uncertain expression neither confirming nor denying anything.

Rushing after him, I followed him to the front door to see a huge truck parked outside.

"Brian! What is this?".

Brian looked behind me and signalled to some maids who were carrying out blankets and clothes.

"This truck pulled up from out of nowhere. At first I thought it was a threat, but you can't fake fear and desperation. There are 14 girls badly injured and malnourished in the back and the girl driving said that they escaped from Eleanor's father".

Not letting Brian finish what he had to say, I ran to the back of the large truck and saw exactly what Brian had been telling me. 

Fuck they looked so young. 

"It's alright girls, you are safe here. Come on, my maids will take you to down to the health clinic and get you settled. He's not going to hurt you anymore".

The girls looked at one another with doubt, but they soon nodded with small smiles lighting up their faces. 

The girl who I presumed Brian was speaking about got out of the driver side of the car with watering eyes.

"How did you know to come here for refuge?".

The girl looked up at me before letting her eyes fall to her hands which were covered in fresh bruises.

"Eleanor" she muttered out so quietly.

"Who?" I asked again hoping to hear the same name come from off her lips.

"Eleanor, the sick man's daughter".

"And where is she? Why is she not here with you?".

Apart of me had a strong feeling I already knew the answer. She thought I hated her and I told her I'd kill her if I ever saw her again.

I'm the biggest fucking idiot.

"She stayed to cause a distraction. Sh-she said if she wasn't back in 2 minutes then I had to go without her. Sh- she-".

The girl broke down and sobbed into her hands. I couldn't even begin to imagine the pain she went through at the hands of Eleanor's twisted father.

"She what? What happened, please I need to know if she's okay".

The girl shook her head and tried to regain her frantic breathing.

"The last thing I saw was her collapse to the floor. Because she disobeys, he put an electric collar on her. Her father shocked her as she ran towards the truck. She couldn't move. All I remember was her screams and the sight of blood coming out of her mouth. I should have fought back like she did, but she told me I had to come here. She told us you'd protect us".

I felt every part of my body grow heavy in fear and panic. It's my fucking fault she's in this situation. Because of my anger, my feelings, I left her to the wolves.