Chapter 22: Drunk & Desperate

Eleanor

"And the princess lived happily in her castle in the land full of purple flowers".

Sofia wiped away the tears she had been shedding and snuggled herself into my stomach.

"Again! Again!".

"Are you sure? I've already read it 10 times".

"Yes, you do the voices well, just like my daddy. Don't tell him, but you do them better".

"I promise and whatever makes you happy sweetheart".

I followed Oscar's instructions and brought Sofia into the safe room in his office. My heart broke as I walked into her bedroom seeing her cry and shake from the loud alarm and flashing red lights.

I had no experience with children and being in this situation made me feel uncomfortable, but I refused to let Sofia suffer in this stressful situation.

We sat her dad's safe room which was had sofas, TV's, endless toys and a little kitchen and bathroom.

You could still hear the alarms from inside the safe room, but they were quieter.

We had been stuck in this room for what felt like hours. But I did everything I could to distract her. We danced, we sang, we even played hide and seek in the room which only had 4 decent hiding places.

"Is my daddy coming back?" Sofia whispered into my stomach, her fingers playing with the ends of my hair.

"Of course he is. He would always come back for you. Why would you ask that?".

"Because sometimes, I have nightmares that my daddy kisses me goodnight, but then never comes back. I don't want my daddy to disappear".

Her beautiful eyes started to water as her bottom lip pouted. The way she clung onto me made my heart ache.

7 years old and everyday could be her last.

"I know your dad would never leave you. You are his princess and he is the king. The king never leaves the kingdom without his princess".

"And are you the Queen?".

Sofia's smile vanished and instead began to wiggle her eyebrows.

"I don't think your daddy wants a Queen. He's got his princess and that's all that matters".

Sofia sat up and frowned.

"Nope, pretty sure he wants you as his Queen. In fact, he told me" Sofia whispered as if he was in the same room.

"Did he now?".

Sofia looked to the floor and bit her lip.

"Hey girls".

Sofia and I screamed as the door suddenly burst open and Brian ran in panting for breath.

"Woah, calm down. I'm not that scary".

"Yeah you are. You are the frog in my princess book".

Brian got on his knees and pouted at Sofia pleading with her not to be the frog. I absolutely loved the way these hard, tough mafia men acted around her. She brought even the scariest of men to their knees.

"Brian!".

Oscar walked in looking stressed and angry. I couldn't help but notice what looked like blood on sleeve of his white shirt.

"Boss!".

"Why an earth did you barge in and scare my girls-, um my princess".

Did he just?