Chapter 17: Opening up

Oscar

"She's doing good boss. Just keep giving her warm drinks, warm food and keep her wrapped up in blankets. She's a brave little madam".

The doctor that worked with me for years gently rested his hand on her head and stared down at her with love. They all loved and cared for my princess.

"Thank you Phillip, for everything".

"I'll send for some soup on my way out. Goodnight you two".

Sofia whispered out a quiet goodbye and snuggled into my side.

I was still angry over what had happened, but I was starting to doubt the reason why she hid from the fire. Now that her temperature was back to normal and she was comfortable, I had to talk to her.

"Baby, you know I'd never be angry at you. Remember my promise, Daddy never shouts at his angel. Who does he shout at?".

"The bad men" Sofia sniffled whilst wiping her nose on the blanket.

"Now tell me what happened. I was so scared sweetheart. You know that daddy gets upset when you're not with him. So tell me again why you hid in the freezer room baby because I don't believe it was because of the fire".

Hariette told me that the flames had only come from the cookies and happened near the oven, nowhere near the door like Sofia had said.

Sofia's bottom lip started to tremble and her eyes were welling up with tears.

"I-I thought you were going to be mad at me. I was scared about the cookies and if y-you found out, you would be angry at me, so I hid. I-I'm sorry daddy. I just wanted the cookies to bake faster. I was hungry and wanted to eat one".

Bingo. I knew her better than anyone. She was so worried about upsetting people. She wanted everyone to be happy at all times.

Sure I had disciplined her, but never have I ever raised by voice at her.

"Oh baby, I wasn't angry at you, I could never be angry at you. I was just so scared. I couldn't find you sweetheart and I was afraid something happened to you baby. I love you and want you safe, okay?".

Sofia's big watery eyes looked up into mine, tears trailed down her chubby cheeks and her body shook with sobs.

"Come here sweetheart".

Sofia crashed her head into my torso and clutched onto my top.

"You are my world and all that matters is you're safe. I also have a little surprise for you. Something to cheer my baby up".

Right on cue, Hariette walked in pushing a small trolley with a big smile on her face.

"Harri!! Are you okay?".

Trust Sofia to be asking if everyone is okay. She always put everyone before herself, something like that is rare in people nowadays.

"I am thank you little miss. And how are you doing?".

Sofia grabbed my hand with hers and smiled up at me.

"Much better thank you".

Hariette smiled as she started to unload some boxes from the trolley. Sofia squealed and sat up on the sofa.

"Daddy, did you-"

"I thought tonight would be the night we have our pizza party. And pudding is also sorted, thanks to Harriette.

"OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS. HEART COOKIES WITH LITTLE PRINCESS PEARLS ON THEM. AHH THANK YOU".

Flinching at the high pitch shriek, I looked up at Harriette apologetically and shrugged my shoulders.