9. One thing I do like a royal

Nature plays funny games.
Two boys who had been the happiest they have ever been, now walked through the palace hallways looking like the paddy crops from the year of drought.

They were lost in their own minds, yet not quite. Dejected and detached from the world, their surrounding, even themselves.
None was concerned with the quietness of the other, their thoughts echoing so loud that nobody's silence could make an impact enough.

The first prince had only recalled what had happened last night at the feast along with a few empty affirmations here and there . But Taehyung didn't need to be reminded of it. He was well aware.

Who was I trying to fool though?

He knew his fate and yet he went ahead and made advances on Jungkook. A non-royal. A guard. A theif. A male. A human who deserves nothing what Taehyung's mess of a life had to offer.

He had no right to toy with the other's sentiments. He owes him an apology and a retrocline from all the chaos that Taehyung started. He needs to step back, but how will he be able to?

The theif on the other hand was lost in the whirlwind of his own thoughts. He found himself as the epicenter of a tornado. Calm, but nearing destruction.
His mother's smiling face flashed again in front of him and this time he squeezed his eyes shut to somehow get rid of it.

This caused him to collide into the Prince's back who was not expecting the blow and was about to fall face first to the floor if it wasn't for the guard's quick response of holding him up.

"My deepest apologies your highness."

"Are you okay, Jungkook? You seem distracted."

"So do you, your highness. I reckon we rather not discuss if you are still not ready to share your conundrums." Jungkook spoke up in a tone colder than icebergs but it only determined the prince to freeze his tongue more.

He could accustom to the warm guard being cold, but not the other hating on him. He only just got someone who does not. So it better stay the way it is.

"Fair enough." Taehyung replied in a similar tone and continued to make his way to the kitchen where he had someone to attend to.

"Yerin-ssi, I'm glad you could make it."

"Don't embarrass me your highness. How can I not when I was invited by the prince himself." Yerin bowed down. She searched her brother for a word or two when their eyes met, but it never came.

Jungkook only stood baffled wondering what Taehyung had in mind calling his sister in the palace.
If at all he was to get his hands on the lost crown, he cannot afford people knowing about his sister.

"Jin hyung! Did you get the message I had asked Joonie hyung to convey?"

"Your highness." Jin bowed. "About this girl, yes. Truth be told, I am very curious about what made you so appreciative of her. A query keeps bothering me, however?"

Taehyung knew the query and had already summoned an answer to it. He gestured Jin to continue.

"How did you meet this girl when you never step out?"

There you go.

From the corner of his eye he could feel Jungkook visibily stiffen. He felt a little vex realizing Jungkook didn't trust him enough to protect his sister.

"You remember Jiwa, my guard before Jungkook-ssi? She is his cousin. He used to bring these snacks called pretzels. You must ask her to cook some for you. I'm convinced you will be blown away."