35. The Theft

Taehyung's POV-

I sprint with all my might once the white wooden door of my cottage comes into view. The puddles that my boots smack against raise to besom their kind stains on the inseam of my, well Jungkook's, new trousers.

The thick cardboard cover of the journal that I hold on top of my head has gone a little irrigous and pudgy from all the mudge of the pouring showers. The content it holds is the paramount of all the backbreaking drudgery that me, Bogum and Yomsu have put in on our researches for months now.

Considering the imperative outcomes that will thunderclap my head if the water seeps into the covers and manages to smudge the ink, I should be holding it against my chest under my, well Jungkook's, overcoat instead of using it as a shield against getting myself wet. However I couldn't care less at the moment.

I wouldn't condemn if I have to stay up all night and rewrite everything. Or if I get a nice castigating from Bogum for my heedlessness. I just don't wish the rain to drench me. More so, I would dispise if it even touches me today.

I have a major wrangle with the weather today. I have a hunch that it is mocking me. Something tells me that this a reprehensive way of the sky trying to impersonate my sullen mood and then laugh at me with this counterfeit pour that dirties my pants and shoes.

Reaching the door I hastily unlock it after hooking the collar of my, well jungkook's, overcoat over my head to avoid this apish weather to seep into my hair that I had tied back in a bun today. It is not a duck soup to rewash and dry these thick and long locks.

As I step inside, mudding our door mat and cursing internally at that, my eyes wander and fixate at the few letters that have been slid beneath the door. I take off my shoes and put them aside while reminding myself about asking Jungkook to build a letter box outside as I pick up one of the letters that is now soaked and unreadable accept the address that said Residence of Jeon Jungkook and Kim Kai.

Kim Kai, my new identity. I'm immensely fond of the name, not because Jungkook named me. Alright, you got me, a lot because Jungkook named it, yet also because he reasoned that it was short and adorable just like I am. So me, a 23 year old, still gushes about the name and the compliment etched with it.

One letter that I would have killed myself if it were ravaged, but thankfully was not, was the one from Yerin. I quickly tear the flap open, keeping aside the actual letter from Yerin and unfolding the small one that was enclosed within it.

It was always this way. A letter from Anaya or hyung-nim enclosed within the letters from the others just to keep our interactions discreet. It was two years ago that Yerin sternly warned of cutting all her connections with us if we do not permit her to let Anaya in on the secret of me being alive.

It was something about her relating to pain of a sister and I admit that with every breath that I never resented permitting her. Anaya and Yerin's blossoming friendship always reminds me of Joonie hyung and me.

Alright, I better not start swimming in nostalgia considering I have been on the verge of tears since the past three days. Anyways the letter..

Dear brother,
All of us here at Arauna are good in spirits and I hope that you both are too.
I wished to inform you that I have abided by your advice and finally agreed to accept brother's decision of marrying me to the king of Darata. I trust your word on him being a good man. You were right. I cannot keep moping around all my life about my failure to confess to general Hoseok and him marrying a woman of his parent's choice. Life goes on.
A word came around from Trisha unnie that mother is now raising funds to help the flood victims in Glandit. I wish it is a rendezvous of well intentions and not with an ulterior motive.
I shall be highly obliged if you write to brother and insist him on finding a girl for himself.
Yours lovingly,
Ana.