Chapter 2 ~ Nightmare

Agent 3's (Sarah's) P.O.V:

For the rest of the day, Mike was acting strange. It wasn't like him to keep his distance from me, and, if I'm going to be honest, it kind of hurts. Mike can trust me with anything, that's why I'm here. And if he doesn't want me to tell anyone, I know I won't.

I left my room, wearing a very comfortable oversized shirt, and found him leaning over the kitchen counter, cup in hand. Approaching him, I gave him a small smile. He smiled back. It wasn't a big one, but he still smiled. I hugged his waist as my face burrowed into his t-shirt.

"Babe, tell me what's wrong." I stated firmly.

"It's nothing really, Sarah." Mike responded calmly, though he wasn't fooling me. Determined, I told him that he can trust me with anything, and that I would never tell another living soul unless he told me to or let me, but if he didn't I wouldn't. Pressing a soft and gentle kiss onto my lips, he half smiled at me. "Thank you, Sarah. I know that I can trust you."

I grabbed his hand and gently squeezed it, "So, do you want to talk to me about it?" I asked softly. The octoling nodded slowly, before I led him to my room.

We cuddled up under the blankets as I patiently waited for him to start telling me what he wanted to tell me. To my surprise, he turned into his octopus form, wanting me to hold him tighter. It was more adorable than it should've been, but I was more into helping him out with what he was having trouble with. 

"On today's mission...the Octarian recognized me." He started. "He called me a traitor to the Octarians, which I am, I'm not denying it..and well..he went on trying to tell me about my past. So after gaining the advantage over him, I explained that I forgot and don't remember anything and that I didn't want to be reminded before I splatted him.."

"And did you forget?" I asked.

"No, I didn't. The only thing I don't remember was how I ended up at the Deep Sea Metro where Cap'n Cuttlefish found me."

I rubbed his head gently, trying to make him as comfortable as I can.

"Why is it troubling you?" I asked in a soothing voice.

"Because, I don't like to think about my past before the Deepsea Metro. If I had a choice, I would rather completely forget." Mike stated.

"Are you comfortable telling me..?" I asked curiously. Being an Octoling, I'm sure it was not easy for him at all.

"Maybe another time..it's a lot to cover..." Mike said as his voice slowly trailed off. I nodded sympathetically, still scratching his head.

By accident, I made him go to sleep.

I stared at the napping octopus in my arms and smiled.

"I don't know what he's been through, but I'm glad he's here now."

Agent 8's (Mike's) P.O.V:

If there's one thing that I hate more than people that try to start fights for no reason, it's remembering my past, or being reminded of it. It's been a hard time back then, and I've done things I deeply regret, so I hate talking, getting reminded, or reminding myself about it. I don't like to look back, and would very much like to focus on the present and look ahead.

I have a new life now, a happier one. And I have Sarah with me.

~

While I slept in Sarah's arms, flashes of events from my past played. Showing one event briefly, then moving on to the next. I didn't know how I was looking at these memories, if it was me being invisible in the area and watching a younger version of going through it, or if it was a different perspective. It hurt a lot.

~

I opened my eyes. I looked at my beloved inkling still fast asleep and looked over at the clock. It was 9:10 P.M. However I noticed that my vision was blurry and came to the conclusion that I was crying. Slipping out of Sarah's arms and wiping my eyes with my arm, I returned back to my Octoling form as I exited her room.

Walking out the door, I looked around at the house. Everything was dark, not a single light on. I headed back to the kitchen and poured myself a glass of water, trying to forget the nightmare I had just experienced. I was still sleepy, but I could already tell that I was going to be sleeping restlessly for the rest of the night.

"Mike? Why are you up?" Sarah approached me, yawning tiredly. I looked over at her and gave her a false smile. "I was just getting a drink of water." I lied. "Oh ok. Do you feel any better?" Sarah asked again. I hesitated for a moment before responding again. "I'm feeling better now, thanks Sarah." I lied again. "I'm really just tired."

I was lying about being fine, I wasn't at the moment, but hopefully I'll be better by morning. I wasn't lying about being tired, I was. I just don't know if I'll be restless or not. Nevertheless, I really do love and appreciate the fact that Sarah tries so hard to make sure that I'm doing good. And I love her a lot for that, it's just...

I can't let anyone in our Splatoon know yet. Especially, not Sarah. Or...Isabel.

I went to sleep with Sarah, this time cuddling her instead, which ironically made me feel better. She smiled sleepily as she kissed me on my cheek softly, every once in awhile turning into her squid form.

Sooner or later, I'm going to have to tell them.

A.N. Update on Chapter 1:

"Agent 7 - Jake (Previously ???)"

I decided to hint to Mike's past more in this chapter :) I have an interesting backstory planned out for our Octoling here...

I hope everyone is enjoying this so far! <3

~

Word Count: 1016