Chapter 10 ~ Don't Want To Return

Agent 8's (Mike's) P.O.V: 

My replica smirked at me, his goggles glowing a brighter red. I gripped my roller tighter.

Swinging vertically, he turned into his octopus form, swimming towards me fast. In response, I took a swing with my roller, hoping I would get a direct hit. But to my surprise, he had jumped up high and getting ready to land with a Splashdown. In a panic, I swam away to avoid the Splashdown, but once again, he jumped up high and was trying to land the hit on me.

"Do you really think those inklings thought of you as an equal? Do you really think they considered you their friend? You're doomed to be an outcast in their Inkling society!"

I dodged the second Splashdown as he went in for the third one. This was seriously like when I fought my Inner Agent 3. "I don't remember who they are.. But I was happy, I was smiling! They were the reason to that happiness!" I yelled, taking another swing and landing it directly on him. He went flying back, and hit the border wall on impact.

I, myself, didn't even know why I was so passionate about this. Or why I was fighting for this. I just didn't want to go back to my life before the surface.

~Flashback~

It's strange how I don't remember anything about that time where I was on the surface..I don't remember who those inklings were, what I did up there, or why I was so happy..But I do remember my life before it.

My life sucked ever since I could remember.

I was an orphan, with no knowledge of who were my Octarian parents or family. I was often neglected in any way possible. Eventually, I was taken in by an Octarian soldier, who didn't treat me very well. He fed me, clothed me, took care of me, but was rather harsh and expected me to be an elite Octarian soldier.

I went through school, learning about the history of us Octarians, the Surface and our natural rivals, the Inklings. I didn't have any friends whatsoever. While every other Octarian hung out with their different groups, I was an outcast. The loser, I guess you can say. Every Octarian strong enough to carry a weapon began training as soon as possible, which took place in the evenings. Friends hung out in the free time between school and training. It wasn't a lot of time, but better than nothing.

During that free time, I went home. That's where I did my homework, ate and trained even earlier due to my foster parent's expectations. Eventually his message got through to me, I have to strive to be the best Octarian soldier.

So that's what I did.

I completely forgot everything, my school, all the Octarians that were picking on me, the lack of friends, lack of family, and just pushed myself forward. The training was intense but I made it and soon joined the Octarian army.

At first many people didn't think much of me, but who can blame them? I came up from nothing. Once again, no one tried to approach me or make any interaction with me whatsoever, but I didn't mind. I went through the majority of my life like that anyways.

Slowly but surely, I climbed the ranks. More eyes were turning to me, and my skill and precision was being acknowledged. Eventually becoming a high ranked general.

I became one of the few skilled Octarians that were able to single handedly take down an agent from the Splatoon. I was praised.

But the real, non-brainwashed, me watched all of this. I knew that I wasn't happy. I wasn't happy going through all of that suffering as a lonely Octoling. I wasn't happy with the intense regimen. I wasn't happy being awarded a high rank. I wasn't happy that after a long time of being picked on, I was being praised.

I wasn't happy that I took another life.

~End Of Flashback~

Before, the real me inside my head watched all of the actions and decisions the brainwashed version of me was doing. I was powerless against him, or myself. So I couldn't do anything before, but now...

We're on equal footing.

Agent 3's (Sarah's) P.O.V:

Marine, setting down her laptop on the table, began typing furiously. Callie, Marie, Pearl, Jake and I watched her in curiosity and worryingly.

"Ok, so when the new sets of the Hero suits were made, I had added a small tracking device on each individual suit so that the Agent that went missing or taken, like now, can found."

"T-That's amazing, Marina!" I exclaimed happily, feeling reassured that we can at least track Mike down and bring him back. "Wait, but why didn't you tell us before..?" Pearl asked, staring at the female octoling.

"W-Well, I-I forgot..." Marina whispered, clearly embarrassed. No comment was mad after.

Mike's location was on an uncharted island, which Marine presumed as an Octarian base, near Cephalon HQ. We couldn't obviously just barge in there, even with our strength, we could definitely get splatted if we got too reckless. Plus, we have no idea how many Octarians are roaming in there. We have to do this safely and swiftly.

The entire Splatoon argued as to when would be the best time to strike and get Mike back.

I didn't care when, as long as we did it as soon as possible, as fast as possible and as safely as possible. I want Mike back, safely.

I miss him now, more than ever.

We ended up deciding heading over there later tonight, so in the meantime we were able to eat and catch up on some sleep or whatever. I ended up falling asleep on a nearby chair after eating a nice big meal.

~A Couple of Hours Later~

I strapped on my Hero headset, my hoodie and my snow boots. Gripping my Splattershot Pro in my hands, I knew we were bringing back Mike for sure.

Our rescue mission began.