Prologue

DISCLAIMER: This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, and plots were used in a fictitious manner and a product of the author's imagination. Any resemblance to actual persons living or dead, and to actual events are purely coincidental.

Warning: Lots of grammar lapses. Read at your own risk.

PROLOGUE

"Mommy!"

The young Raegan enthusiastically smiled by the sight of her mother. Mula sa paglipat lipat ng mga pahina ng libro sa sahig ay bigla itong tumayo. She ran quickly towards her mother whose arms are widely spread to embrace her.

Beatrice chuckled.

"Hello my little warrior."

Malambing na hinagkan ni Beatrice ang bumbunan ng anak bago nito pinanggigilan ang pisngi ng bata. Humagikgik si Raegan sa kiliting dulot ng mga halik ng ina.

"Mommy what took you so long?"

Tahimik na pinagmasdan ni Beatrice ang anak. Maamo ang mga matang nakatunghay ito sa kaniya. The concern plastered on the face of her daughter warms her heart. Ilang taon pa lamang si Raegan ngunit matalino na ito kumpara sa ibang kaedaran. Madali itong makaintindi ng mga bagay bagay at hindi na ito agad agad maiisahan.

"Why are you crying Mommy?"

Hindi napigilan ni Beatrice ang pagdaloy ng luha mula sa kaniyang mga mata. Niyakap niya ang anak.

Nanggaling siya sa Doctor niya kanina para sa kaniyang weekly check up. She was diagnosed to have a heart failure noong college pa lamang siya. She had her second heart attack when she's about to give birth to Raegan. Naging alanganin pa ang buhay nilang dalawa ng anak dahil doon. But miraculously, they survived. Beatrice believed it to be God's grace for He had given her a strong daughter. Malakas ang kapit ng bata sa sinapupunan niya kaya hanggang ngayon ay buhay pa rin silang mag-ina. That's how she called her daughter a warrior.

Ngunit habang tumatagal, Beatrice felt that her disease just got worse. She was only given three months to live. Yun ang sinabi ng Doctor kanina.

"I love you...I love you...I love you more than my life Raegan."

Paulit-ulit na sambit niya habang yakap ng anak.

Raegan felt her mother's pain. She felt the melancholic energy she was giving. Her heart hurts for her mother but she didn't cry. Instead, she hugged her mother tighter to make her feel that she was there for her.

Kinagabihan, katulad ng kinaugalian ng mag-ina, Beatrice tucked her daughter to bed. She read her bed time stories. Raegan loves that. Hindi pa marunong magbasa si Raegan pero gustong gusto nito laging binabasahan ng libro.

"What's your story for tonight Mommy?"

Raegan fought the sleepiness she's already feeling to hear what story her mother will read.

"The story of a Mother by Hans Christian Andersen."

Beatrice started to read for Raegan.

The story was about a mother who has a sick child that Death took away to bring to the unknown land as what God commanded him to do. The Mother encountered numerous sacrifices in the process of her desperate attempts to get her child back. At the hothouse, where Death lives, she was given a dilemma.

"If the child lives, it will live in misery...but if the child goes with Death, the child will be going to paradise with God, Mommy?"

Marahang hinaplos ni Beatrice ang buhok ng anak. Nakatingala ito sakaniya habang naghihintay ng sagot.