Chapter 18

The last hour Taylor had spent inside the cottage with the Kent's was almost as painful as biting your tongue by accident. If there was one thing she had learned, it was that they were painfully proper and formal.

She stuck out like a sore thumb in the room. While Grace's family wasn't necessarily dressed up, they weren't wearing jeans like the blonde was. For starters, Grace was dressed in blank pants and a blouse, her shirt was tucked in and a brown belt wrapped around her waist. Her make-up was stunning, Taylor was surprised at how much effort Grace had put into it just to be at the cottage.

When looking at William Kent, the man who was the same age as Taylor was wearing a dress shirt and pants, he wore a nice watch and hardly looked up from his phone. He didn't say much but when he was posed with a question he answered quickly with a faded English accent. 

Jennifer Kent was in a gorgeous dress that swept down to her knees, she had perfect posture and was well-spoken. She had the same brown hair as her daughter, although blue eyes instead of Grace's green. She sat with her legs crossed and her back straight, it looked very uncomfortable and Taylor knew the position well. It was same kind Taylor used during awkward interviews, however Jennifer wasn't necessarily awkward.

Robert Kent spoke with a heavy accent and was definitely intimidating, he had grey hair that was combed back and a pair of suspenders over his button up. He was wearing a watch so fancy Taylor was sure it could travel through time in addition to telling it. 

Grace even had behaviour that was so different from anything Taylor had ever seen. She sat up straight, was eloquent with her words and took whatever was said to her with careful consideration before responding. It was like sitting in the same room as a stranger.

The conversation had somehow landed on Taylor's career and Jennifer was asking Taylor a lot of questions, just like Grace had warned her. She was thankful that the woman didn't carry the same accent her husband did, she could barely understand it. 

"I think it is wonderful that at such a young age you have managed to make yourself a household name," Grace's mother said as she poured some more water into her glass from the pitcher on the coffee table, "Even Grace would listen to your music when she was in school."

"Thank you, I really enjoy what I do," Taylor answered, she tried to say a lot in few words when speaking to them. She was totally freaked out. 

"You have such wonderful manners, maybe they will rub off on my daughter one of these days," Robert chimed in. William looked up from his phone with a small smirk, knowing better than to say anything.

Taylor looked at her girlfriend who had gone slightly pale, she wanted nothing more than to reach over and squeeze her hand but she knew she couldn't. 

"I don't appreciate that, dad. Please do not try and embarrass me in front of Taylor," Grace pleaded. She was using a tone that Taylor had never heard, it was weak and strained.

"Gracie Ann, I do not think your father is embarrassing you. You embarrass yourself," Jennifer said as she sipped from her water glass. This isn't going to go well...

"Mom," Grace said, looking directly into her mothers eyes, "Please don't start."

"I can say what I would like to, it is my house. Watch your language, contractions are impolite."

"Sorry," Grace answered immediately. Taylor could tell she was embarrassed of the situation but the blonde had no idea what to do to make it better. If she just kept being polite maybe it would become less awkward.

"If it makes you feel better, we are glad you finally moved out of that apartment, we can finally sell that awful building," Robert said as he looked at his watch. He did it frequently, almost as if he had a better place to be.