Chapter 69

Taylor was tossing and turning, a long day at the studio mixed with the empty sheets next to her for the first time in months led to the singer not being able to get a wink of sleep.

She had almost forgotten what it was like to have such difficulty sleeping by herself, the normal warmth of the brunette or arms slung wildly around her in some fashion always lulling her into a deep and restful state.

I should never have told her to go do something for a week.

Sighing in frustration and rolling over onto her side once again, the blonde gave up and opened her eyes, searching for the lamp and turning it on. Once she could see enough to find her glasses, she put them on and picked up her phone.

3:14 AM.

Well, it is after eight in London.

Grace had originally planned on taking a short trip to Los Angeles to visit Joe but his schedule was too cramped, instead she went out to London to visit newly-engaged Karlie and William, soaking up as much time with Landon as possible.

It was two short clicks of the dial tone before her favourite voice in the world came through, "Can't sleep?"

"How'd you know?" Taylor asked as she sat up and pressed her back against the wood grained headboard, the blankets twisted around her legs from all the movement.

Grace chuckled slightly on the other end, "It's three in the morning in New York and you aren't a morning person, it was either that or you burned the apartment down trying to make s'mores."

"Hey! I only set a marshmallow on fire once, no need to make jokes about it," the older woman defended herself, her cheeks warm as she tried to shake off the memory.

"Baby," Grace laughed, "We switched from a gas stove to an electric stove because of that night, I do not trust you with open flame."

As good of a baker or cook Taylor claimed to be, the numerous incidents that had occurred since Grace has been living with her were awfully embarrassing. Broken blenders, multiple cooking tools and utensils either getting broken by the garbage disposal or breaking the disposal itself as well as a few other mishaps had earned her quite the reputation in the brunette's eyes.

"Whatever," Taylor dismissed it, "What are you doing?"

"Uh-" Grace began as she dragged out the word, "I'm talking to you, just got ready and was about to head over to Will's."

Taylor sighed, "How long have you been gone again?"

"Not even a full day for you."

"And you're coming back when again?"

"In five days."

Groaning, Taylor said, "Would you be opposed to me giving up on this breathing room thing and sneaking into your bed sometime in the next... I don't know- say thirteen hours?"

Thirteen hours: five for the time difference, seven for the flight, one for good luck.

"Yes, I would be. You asked for this and therefore you are getting space. I'm sitting in the living room staring at this horrifying cat painting you wanted to put up that I'm not allowed to take down and so karma's a bitch, my love. Enjoy your week of Grace-free couch naps and unlimited time at your piano."

"If I tell you that you can take the cat down would you let me come join you?"

"No, but if you play your cards right I wouldn't be opposed to phone sex sometime before I come home."

"Well-" Taylor paused, "We could have in-person sex if we were together."

"Meh," Grace jokingly mumbled, "I have the same tools you do, technically I do not need you either way."