37- checkmate

it was one of those nights, where no matter how still jinyoung lay or how comfortable he was, his brain just wouldn't allow him to fall asleep. it was almost as though it could sense what was about to happen, like it knew that at exactly 3am, someone would be knocking on his door.

in truth, perhaps the reason he couldn't sleep was the absence of mark. half a week had passed, 3 days, with absolutely no contact from him at all. he was silent... angry, or sad, maybe both. either way, he hadn't bothered to pick up a single one of jinyoung's desperate calls.

was it because of that brief shred of an argument? jinyoung had shrugged it off as nerves on mark's part and lonliness on his, but maybe mark really was angry at him.

he sure had looked it when he'd stormed back into the bar that night. jinyoung had never seen his eyes clouded with so much frustration. but that was to be expected, he hadn't been in a good place.

so why had he not even sent a text to jinyoung to say that he was safe and that he hadn't murdered youngjae yet? hell, he hadn't even logged onto instagram to complain to jinyoung about youngjae - and mark loved to complain.

something, just as jinyoung had said, felt wrong.

and this overthinking, his insane fear that he may never see mark again, was what led him to stay awake, and what led to the events that occurred after the person knocked on his door.

he would regret it for the rest of time, but he was so blinded by his fear he hadn't exactly been thinking straight.

the knock, of course, had been unexpected. who would want him at 3am? certainly not bambam, jackson or yugyeom- they still treated him weirdly, and wouldn't dream of knocking on his door ever, let alone in the night. and it couldn't be mark either, for obvious reasons.

perhaps it was another red, like solar, but he couldn't see any need for her to be awake at that time, let alone knocking.

in fact, the person behind the door was the person he had least expected. he was sure it would be impossible, illegal.... definitely illegal.

but, as jinyoung dragged himself from his bed which had grown so uncomfortable throughout the night, he swore his heart nearly stopped beating when he saw the darkened face behind the door.

the darkened face of lim jaebeom.

jinyoung had wanted to slam the door right then and there, but curiosity got the better of him- as it always did when jaebeom was around, and he allowed the man to speak.

he looked the same, almost. his hair was still night black, and slicked back so severely it looked wet, his face was still sharp and harsh, though it lacked the many piercings that had been scattered across it. no doubt they weren't allowed in prison, which is where jaebeom was meant to be.

"jinyoungie..." he spoke, his voice low and taking on a tone that could only be described as growling, "aren't you gonna welcome me back?"

jinyoung didn't say anything.

how could he? he was scared out of his mind.

he wouldn't let jaebeom know that though, that would be the worst thing he could possibly do.

so, simply, he shrugged, "no."

jaebeom laughed and elbowed his way into the room, "fine." he said, looking back at jinyoung. his eyes. they were definitely still the same. evil.

"how are you here jaebeom? you're meant to be in prison."

he knew that his fear was causing his voice to shake, but he ignored it, aware that jaebeom knew he had the upper hand anyway.