Beagle Birthday Massacre

Today the boys were going out on their kayak adventure, or whatever it was. Every once in a while, the boys would take the boat out on the marina and...do whatever it is they did. Eat snacks? Go on an adventure? Probably nap, in Louie's case, unless they gave him the map again. Anyway, we were all at the beach and the boys, plus Webby, were taking inventory of their supplies.

"Compass?" Huey listed off, and Webby handed him said items. "CB Radio?... Sunscreen?"

"Hot dog costumes!" Webby exclaimed. I raised an eyebrow.

"I'm sorry, what?" Huey asked, taking the costume from Webby's hand.

"You know, in case we get lost at sea, and one of us, probably Louie, goes mad with hunger, we'll put these on! Louie hates hotdogs, so he probably won't eat us." She did have a point.

"Are you saying that Louie would rather eat us than hotdogs?" Huey questioned, with a worried expression.

"I do hate hotdogs," Louie stated

"He does hate hotdogs," I repeated.

"...I think we'll be good," Huey said, tossing the costume out of the kayak, a couple birds flocking towards it.

"So... what do you need me to do?" Webby asked.

"I think that's everything. Louie's got the canteens, Dewey's got the paddles-"

"Nautically! Yarr!" Dewey stood atop the kayak before jumping in on top of Louie. I rolled my eyes. He stood up triumphantly, holding the paddles. "Nailed it!" He was then tackled by Louie and they tussled for a bit. I would've stepped in, but it was kind of entertaining. Besides, I'd rather they fight on land than at sea.

"Don't worry, we've taken this old kayak out dozens of times, we got this," Huey assured.

"Maybe... I could be in charge of the map," Webby suggested.

"Oh, Huey always handles the map," Dewey explained, "thanks to old captain lost here." He pointed at Louie.

"Hey! That's captain lost sir to you."

The boys began to chant and Webby laughed with them awkwardly.

As they recounted the story of good ol' cap'n lost, I decided to stick my webbed feet in the water. I rolled up my long pants, they were required by my job, and waded in the water. It wasn't warm but not cool either. I could see the sun was beginning to set, and checked my watch. It was 5:15pm now and the boys were supposed to return around 7:00pm sharp, so I think it'll be okay. Not like we had to be back at the mansion anytime soon, but still.

I looked back to the kayak to see all of the kids struggling to fit in it, and Webby soon falling out. I decided I had waded in the water long enough, so I headed back up towards the kids.

Webby had decided to let the boys go, and assured them it was fine. I kissed them each on the forehead, earning groans from the boys and they set sail. Or whatever it is that kayaks do.

I looked down at Webby, who had now sat on the sand. I kneeled beside her.

"You okay, Webbigail?"

She nodded. "Yeah...I'm okay."

She's gonna be a tough egg to crack.

I lightly put my hand on her shoulder. "You could come to work with me, if you want, that way you aren't waiting for the boys for too long?" I suggested.

"No thanks," she said, standing up. "I'll be okay."

I nodded and stood up along with her. "Alright. Remember, call my cell or the work phone if you need me, I'm only a few blocks away." I gave her a light hug, and headed back to work. She's Webby, she'll cheer up. I hope.