Last Crash of the Sunchaser

This week was going to be a week to remember. At least, I had hoped it was.

We were going on vacation at Monacrow. Well, kind of? The kids were all going to go look for some artifact with Scrooge at some point, but 22 was going to hang out at the beach and relax. Which she definitely deserved. I was going to tag along with her on some days but also, the EX.C.E.S.S. convention was there! Science! Engineering! Mechanics! Fun, right? I was going to go with the kids at some point. So this week we were spending in Monacrow was going to be amazing!

"Uncle Donald, come on!" I pleaded, following him to pick up more supplies for the houseboat. "Take a break! Come on vacation with us! You can relax, and it'll be fun!"

"Nuh-uh!" He quacked in response, "I've gotta fix up the houseboat! I'm almost finished!"

I stopped and so did he. "Are you fixing it so we can leave or so you can be independent?" I questioned.

He didn't answer, and instead continued on his way. I shrugged and headed back to the jeep and loaded in. It took quite a bit, but eventually, after a bit of congregating, everyone was ready.

Once everyone was loaded up, Launchpad drove the jeep into the plane and we soon took off. Best roadtrip ever!

~~~

I had planned to spend most of my time sleeping through the trip. Emphasis on planned. Until I noticed the kids, which weren't in their seats. Which made me increasingly nervous.

I swallowed my nerves, looking around before moving up to the head of the plane. Launchpad was nowhere to be found. I wasn't sure whether to worry or be thankful for that. Instead, Scrooge had the wheel of the plane.

"Since when do you fly the Sunchaser?" I asked him.

"Ach, jengs! I'm Scrooge McDuck!" He exclaimed. That can't be an excuse for everything, old man. But I shrugged in response, and looked over the railing of the top of the plane. I saw Launchpad and 22 looking around, but no kids. Weird. Super weird.

I felt the plane dip before jolting to a stop, which sent me flying over the railing. I screamed before grabbing onto the bottom of the rail and holding on with all my strength. I felt my shoulder strain, which caused a yelp to be ripped from my throat.

I gasped for air, beginning to hyperventilate. Ok, ok, focus, Marina. What're your options? Fall to an untimely death, wait for someone to help you and risk ripping a muscle or pull yourself up and risk falling. I looked below me and groaned, before grimacing in pain. I can't hold on for much longer.

I grabbed onto the rail with my other hand and did my best to pull myself up. I don't know how I managed, perhaps with the rush of adrenaline, but I made it onto the top level of the plane. I scurried away from the railing before collapsing on the ground.

"Oh! You anti-aeronautical patchwork contraption!" I heard Scrooge beginning to rant, and decided to tune it out. I had to get a hold of my breathing. I did my best to steady my breath before sitting up.

"Where are the kids?" I demanded.

Ms. Beakley, who definitely wasn't there before, looked at me. "You could've seriously hurt your niece and nephews!" She scolded Scrooge. Yeah, good looking, Sherlock! I rolled my arm, before jerking my shoulder back into place with a sickening pop.

I concluded that the kids must be at the bottom of the plane, so I climbed down the ladder towards them.

They were all standing around but seemed to be unscathed. I engulfed all of them in a hug before feeling a pull in my still-sore shoulder and setting them down. I was going to strangle Scrooge if I ever got my hands on him.