The Depths of Cousin Fethry

I walked into the foyer to see bothe Huey and Dewey, with packed backpacks, walking out the door.

"Whoa, whoa! What's going on?" I asked them.

They shared a look, and I narrowed my eyes.

Huey sighed. "We're going to the Deep-Sea Laboratory that our cousin is in charge of," He explained.

"We have a cousin who's in charge of a lab?" I wondered out loud.

"Aaaand," Dewey interjected, "He made a new discovery! It might be a fish or new species he can name after me!"

"Which cousin is this?" I asked.

"Cousin... what was it again, Hue?" Dewey furrowed his brows, trying to think.

"Oh! Fethry," Huey answered.

"Fethry has his own lab!? I've got to see this! Mind if I join?" I asked.

~~~

"Best time waste ever!" I heard the boys sing from behind me. I rolled my eyes.

Launchpad was driving the sub, of course under my careful watch, and the boys were chatting with one another. I was left with my thoughts, and I didn't mind.

It had been years since I had seen Cousin Fethry. I wonder if he was married? Or had children? Was he really a scientist? It's hard to believe my eccentric older cousin was a scientist. Love him dearly, but he was always a bit odd. Part of why I liked him so much as a kid, I guess.

Maybe he doesn't even look like he used to. Maybe he looks super old. That'd be super weird.

"Forbidden beasts of the deep!" I turned around to Dewey, raising an eyebrow.

"Why are you yelling?" I asked.

"And our very own cousin is the scientist exploring it all!" Huey continued Dewey's thought, both of them standing next to the sub's window.

"Perhaps he'll discover a bold new species he'll nane after me. Dewificus Magnificus," He announcedc before shaking his head. "No, no, wait, The Great Blue Dewfin." He turned to Launchpad for confirmation, but Launchpad just made the "iffy" sign.

"Meh. I'm overthinking it. How about the Dewfish?"

"There's already a Dewfish, commonly known as the freshwater catfish." Huey showed Dewey a picture from his guidebook.

"Ewww! Gross, no." Dewey grimaced, pushing Huey's book away. "Gotta fix that and give the name to something cooler!"

Just then, we heard the screeching of a speaker, causing Launchpad to fall from his seat. There was a pause before we were all hearing Uncle Scrooge's voice through the radio. "Launchpad! Did you steal the-"

Before he could finish, Dewey ripped out the radio, causing sparks to fly. I grimaced. Not my sub!

"Oops. Look, it's broken," Dewey showed Launchpad, "Look at that. Radio cane right off. Hubert, write that down," He got off of Launchpad's seat and went back over to Huey.

Oh. I see what's happening here. They stole the sub and went behind Scrooge's back. Which only makes me wonder why Scrooge wouldn't want them around Fethry.

"Good thing Uncle Scrooge asked us to do this totally non-suspicious trip to test.. the.. equipment," Dewey fibbed.

"You bet. Could you imagine if that had happened when we were in actual danger?" Launchpad asked.

"Way to make light of the situation, LP," I responded sarcastically.

"Thanks!" He answered back, happy as ever. He pulled down the periscope, looking into it. "Anyway, you want me to pull up next to the rusty, haunted , or... whatchu want me to do?"