The Secrets of Castle McDuck

Launchpad swerved off the road, and the car went flying down the hill onto another road. I yelped, holding onto the back of his seat, tightly. Scrooge snatched the map out of his hands so Launchpad could see, and glared at him.

This was stupid. I only came along on this trip because Scrooge didn't want to tell Uncle Donald and someone had to be the voice of reason. Not that I don't trust Uncle Scrooge, he's great with the kids. But when it comes to... well, emotional intelligence, he's not the best. Also, they were keeping it secret from Donald, which was a recipe for trouble.

"Remember, lads! No sudden moves, no eye contact! If you're cornered, the heartless heathens will give you no quarter," Scrooge explained. I rolled my eyes, still gripping Launchpad's seat.

"This does not sound like a fun trip," Louie noted.

"Misty moors, vague warnings. Sneaking out behind Uncle Donald's back?" Huey asked.

"Which I don't agree with," I noted, glaring lightly at Scrooge.

"Can you please just tell us where we're going?" Huey asked.

"The less you know, the better," Scrooge answered.

Launchpad continued driving relatively smoothly, which was a weird sensation.

We came to a sudden stop, and my head hit the back of the seat. I yelped, rubbing at my forehead. Ugh, that was definitely going to leave a bruise.

"Found it!" Launchpad called.

I looked up and around. We crashed into a statue of a... knight and had arrived at a... castle. Fun.

"Launchpad, hide the jeep in the moors," Scrooge told him, getting out of the car and shutting the door. We all exited the car, and I looked at my reflection in the window, rubbing the tight knot that had already started appearing. This is what I get for sitting in the seat with no seatbelts.

"Every five years, the mists of Dismal Downs part enough to reveal the home of the Lost Treasure of the Knights Templar," Scrooge explained. I noticed that the lights were on in the castle, which was slightly concerning. Was this... occupied? I hope we weren't intruding.

"Brace yourselves, kids. Primordial menace lurks here. The most treacherous terror I've ever faced," I was beginning to think Scrooge wasn't being dramatic. Where on earth were we, and why was he being so vague?

The castle door opened and a gruff voice called out, "Oi! Jettison that jalopy from my driveway this instant, you deadbeat!"

I raised an eyebrow, turning to see the owner of said voice. It was an elderly drake, with grey hair and glasses. Beside him stood a familiar-looking woman, with grey hair and a pink, outdated dress. "What's a jalopy?" I muttered.

"Daddy. Mummy," Scrooge greeted with a deadpan.

~~~

I furrowed my eyes, looking back and forth between him and his parents. How are they still alive?! Scrooge is 151, so his parents are at least in their late 160s!

Then again, my other Great-Grandma is still alive, so I suppose this isn't that unordinary.

Scrooge groaned, approaching the ducks.

"Scroogey!" The woman, who I'm guessing is his mother, hugged him extremely tight and gave him a bunch of cheek kisses.

"Son," his dad greeted. Hm. Not what you'd expect after not seeing your son for 5 or more years.

"Oh, look at ya wee bairns!" His mother all but squealed. She threw Scrooge to the ground, and I snickered at that. "Finally I get to meet ya!" She came towards the boys who ran, and almost engulfed Louie in a hug.