A Small Interlude

I walked the halls of the mansion, running my hands along the walls. Normally I would refrain from doing so, but it's hard to see at night.

I was not supposed to be out of bed. But I couldn't sleep. I had a feeling something was going on. And Unca Donald and Mom were fighting earlier.

I heard voices in Uncle Scrooge's office, so I paused, and held my head to the door.

"Ugh, I can't believe the nerve of him!" I heard my mom say. The nerve of who?

"Now, Della-" Uncle Scrooge was cut off by mom continuing to rant.

"Who does he think he is?! He thinks he's sooo smart! Just because he's better at this whole ding-dang parenting thing! I'm doing my best! Gods forbid I want to have any fun before I commit full-time!" She seethed, pacing and throwing her arms in the air. She must really be angry.

I leaned against the door, earning a loud creak from it. Oops. I stilled, hoping no one had heard me.

"Della," Uncle Scrooge got her attention, and pointed in my direction. "Ye've got a wee one out of bed."

She furrowed her eyes for a moment, before it donned on her. She turned towards me, and put on a large smile. "Marina? Come in, honey."

I hesitantly opened the door, before entering cautiously. "What's going on, Unca Scrooge?" I asked him.

"Well, darling, yer mum has something she wants to tell yew," Scrooge motioned towards Mom.

She hesitated for a moment, before bending down on my level. She gave me a large hug, and I hugged her back. It was weird. I liked Uncle Donald's hugs better.

"Marina, honey, Mommy's brooding," She explained.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Brooding? Whats that mean?"

"It means yer mother has laid eggs, and is now incubating them," Scrooge explained.

I thought for a moment, before my face lit up. I turned back to Mom. "I'm gonna be a big sister!?" I asked, excitedly.

She nodded, and I squealed, twirling around the room for a minute. I didn't notice the bittersweet look on Mom's face.

I paused, before turning back to her. "Mommy, is that why you and Unca Donald were fighting?"

She and Scrooge shared a look, before Mom turned back to me. "No, honey. Don't worry about that. It's just grown-up stuff."

"Speaking of grown-up stuff," We all looked up to see Donald standing in the doorway, donning a tired expression. "It's past your bedtime, Marina. Come on," He motioned.

I pouted, looking at Scrooge and Mom.

"Now, lass. Listen to yer uncle." Scrooge gave me a pointed look, before motioning towards Donald.

I frowned, but went with Donald anyway. "Goodnight, Mommy. Goodnight, Unca Scrooge."

They both replied their goodnights, and I left the room.

Donald and I walked back to my room in silence.

"Unca Donald?" I looked up at him.

He squeezed my hand in response. "What's up, toots?"

I smiled at the nickname. "How come you and Mommy were fighting earlier?" I asked. "Is it because she's br-braid...ing?" I couldn't remember if that was the word or not.

"Brooding?" Donald corrected. I nodded.

"Toots, there's a lot of things you don't quite understand yet. You know how your Mom and Scrooge and I go on adventures sometimes?"

I thought for a moment. "Yeah! Duckworth watches me. I get to help him with cleaning and cooking!"

Donald chuckled. "That's right. Well, sometimes your Mom gets carried away, and sometimes we gotta bring her back down to earth," He explained.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Down to earth...?"

"It means we have to remind her of her priorities. She forgets that she has things to take care of, other than adventures." He looked down at me, silently asking if I understood.

"Ohh. So she forgets about her responsibilities?" I sounded out the word, liking how it felt to use such a big word.

Uncle Donald nodded. "Yup," He answered, popping the 'p'.

I thought for a moment. "Am I her responsibility?" I asked.

He seemed to think for a moment before answering. "Mostly. But it takes a village to raise a child. And we all take responsibility for it."

I thought I was Duckworth's responsibility. Or Donald's. It was confusing. "Even Unca Scrooge?" I asked him.

"Even Uncle Scrooge," He answered.

"Even 22?" I wondered.

"Whenever she stops by, of course. She's busy with Webbigail most of the time."

"Oh yeah! The baby!" I remembered Webbigail. Babies were sooo cute. But really boring after a while.

We made it to my room, and Uncle Donald set me in my bed. I got under the covers, and got comfortable.

"Goodnight, Marina," He kissed me on the forehead. I did feel sleepy.

"Goodnight...Unca Donald. I love you," I told him.

"I love you too," He answered, giving my arm a loving squeeze, before getting up and leaving the room.

I closed my eyes in thought. I was going to be a big sister.

(This is quite a short chapter! I meant for it to sort of dive into previous life at the mansion, but also not to expose too much. These past moments we get with Marina are small in number, but large in meaning. I wanted to convey that, while Della was her mom, she was still a kid herself. Yeah, 25 is technically an adult, but not in the emotional or mental standpoint. I also wanted to convey that most of the time, young Marina is left under the care of Duckworth, or Donald. I imagine that while Donald goes on adventures, he slowed it down once Marina arrived, and takes more time to help out with her and spend time with her. And can you guess what Della and Donald were fighting over? Yup!

Okie Dokie, so once again, these next few chapters will be short, so that I can regroup and prepare myself for season 2, and so that I can develop these characters more. Hopefully by the time I finish the current season 3 episodes, the hiatus will be up!

Anyway, kids, stay safe! Wash your hands!)