The Impossible Summit of Mount Neverrest

A wonderful start to another expedition: Scrooge monologuing. I'd be lying if I said I was listening. Not that I have anything against Uncle Scrooge, of course. He just monologues a lot.

"But now that smug stack of stalag-mites has to deal with Scrooge McDuck!" He exclaimed, pronouncing stalagmites very oddly.

"Do you mean stalagmites?" I corrected. He just gave me a look and I shrugged.

"Okay, so instead of spending Christmas in a billionaire's mansion waiting for Santa Claws-" Louie began.

"That man is not allowed in my home. He knows what he did," Scrooge answered before walking off to the others. I raised an eyebrow at that. Do... do I wanna know what he did or...?

"- We're following an old man up Mount Certain Doom, here?" Louie questioned, obviously very unhappy.

"Oh, Mount Neverrest is 3 times deadlier than Mount Certain Doom," Huey explained.

"Not really something to be enthusiastic about, Huey," I commented with a hint of a smirk.

"The mountain's summit remains shrouded in mystery. No one's ever seen the top, which makes it the perfect place to earn my Junior Woodchuck Cartography Badge!" Huey exclaimed. Ah, there it is. The thirst for knowledge.

Louie just deadpanned at the badge in front of his face.

"Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a topographical landscape that hasn't already been mapped?" Huey asked.

"No?"

"Well... very! I've got a geographic information system, satellite radar detector, thermal-"

Scrooge interrupted Huey. "You don't need all that fancy doo-hickory..." And with that, I stopped listening.

I shivered a bit, pulling my coat closer around me. Neverrest sounded fun and all, but it was absolutely freezing. I took off my hat and began braiding my hair. I wouldn't want it to get caught on anything. I wonder if Launchpad needed any help with the plane.

"This is your captain speaking, flight doors are now open," he announced, before pulling the door open after a bit of tugging.

Scrooge was the first out and we all followed suit.

"Drink it in, kids," Scrooge began, "Her deadly peaks, her bottomless crevasses, her flawless sheets of brilliant white snow betray a new hint to the ancient secrets hidden beneath, completely untrod by man! The untamed majesty of Mount Neverrest!" We all looked over the edge of the hill to see a little village in the valley of the mountain.

"Untamed, huh?" I questioned. That's a whole lotta people to be called "untamed." I was almost underwhelmed.

"Ooh, churros!" Webby shouted, running down the hill. Churros did sound really good.

~~~

Huey, Louie and I walked along the village. There were lots of booths and shops set up, and it interested me a bit more than the mountain. All these different people who live here, all from different places! That's so cool!

"What're all these people doing here?" Huey asked, "I thought this place was supposed to be uncharted territory!"

"I mean, Uncle Scrooge is a bit on the old side, maybe he looked at an old website?" I offered. "Or something like that, I have no idea how he plans this stuff."

Huey ran over to a stand full of maps, and picked one up. "And this map isn't accurate at all! Mountain goats aren't native to this region. And why is the sun wearing sunglasses? Is he looking at another brighter sun?" Huey critiqued. I chuckled in response.