The Nomads

There's three random vampires on the way and we won't have time to get me away from them. That is especially bad for me for the most obvious reason; I am human. Vampire eat human. In summary, not good.

"Mads, take your hair down and try and cover your neck," Rose suggested, helping me readjust my hair.

"Okey dokey," I muttered.

The Cullens all repositioned themselves so they were surrounding me but making sure it looked casual.

"Try to keep your heart beating as slow as possible," Carlisle told me.

"Right, because that's something us humans can control," I muttered.

"There are actually ways of doing that. You've just done exercise so that should help stop heart palpitations. Breathing deeply will help you relax until your heart palpitations pass and don't panic as that will make your palpitations worse," Carlisle explained.

"What the hell is a palpitation?" I asked.

"Maddie, I will get Carlisle to give you a whole lecture when this is over but for now just do as he says," Edward said frantically.

"Ok. Stay calm, breathe deeply and relax," I told myself.

I did just that and relaxed myself. Beside me I could feel that Edward was extremely tense so I snuck over to Jasper.

"Jasper, can you do me a favour?" I asked him.

"What is it, darling?" Jasper countered.

"Can you calm Edward down?" I whispered.

"You know we can all hear you and Edward can read your mind," Emmett laughed.

"Doesn't matter. My question still stands," I turned back to Jasper.

"Actually Jasper, calm Maddie as well, that way her heart rate will be slower," Carlisle said.

"On it," Jasper smiled.

I felt the calmness enter my body and I gave Jasper a small smile of thanks.

Just as I did that, I saw three vampires practically floating towards us. If this situation wasn't so bloody scary, I would have found it pretty cool. Clearly it was not cool.

They continued to make their way towards us for a while. I don't know if it was just my human characteristics, but I thought that they were taking such a long time to get to us.

Once they were about five feet away from us, they stopped.

"I believe this belongs to you," the black vampire said, holding up one of the balls.

He chucked the ball for Carlisle to catch.

"Thank you," Carlisle said politely.

"I am Laurent. And this is Victoria-" the strawberry blonde vampire nodded. "And James," Laurent introduced.

"I am Carlisle and this is my family," Carlisle introduced. Awww. He called me family.

"Hello," Laurent said awkwardly.

"I'm afraid your hunting activities have caused something of a mess for us," Carlisle told them.

"Our apologies. We didn't realise the territory had been claimed," Laurent apologised.

"Yes, well, we maintain a permanent residence nearby," Carlisle explained.

"Really?" Laurent asked shocked. "Well, you won't be bothered anymore. We were just passing through."

"The humans were tracking us but we led them east. You should be safe," Victoria said smirking.

"Excellent," Carlisle nodded.

"Room for three more? Come on, just one game?" Laurent asked.

"Sure. A few of us were just leaving," Carlisle said.

He threw the ball to Laurent but Victoria was the one who caught it.

"I'm the one with the wicked curveball," she smirked.

"I'm sure we can handle it," Jasper countered.

Apart from the fact that they were all vampires, they looked so human with their competitiveness and eagerness for the game.

Edward placed his hand on my lower back and was about to lead me away when there was a gust of wind.

I heard someone growl loudly so I'm pretty sure everyone else heard it as well. Turns out it was the nomad, James.

"You brought a snack," James stated.

Immediately I was pushed back by Edward while all the Cullens went into their defensive mode. Rose came and stood by me, holding onto my arm tightly.

Who was he calling a snack? I am not food. That stupid son of a bitch!

"You bought a human?" Laurent asked, as him and Victoria crouched down beside James.

"The girl is with us. I think it's time you leave," Carlisle suggested calmly.

I could see that James was still staring at me so I thought I would try as well. Just like he was with me, I glared at him and tried my hardest not to blink. This confused him as he tilted his head to the side and furrowed his eyebrows.

"I can tell the game is over. We will go now," Laurent agreed, raising his hands in surrender.

Laurent began to back away but the other two remained firmly where they were.

"James," Laurent said, when he saw that he wasn't moving.

Hesitantly, James stepped away and Victoria shortly followed suit. James wrapped an arm over Victoria's shoulder and kept on glancing stares at us as they all walked away.

When they were gone, they left us in silence.

"Well they seemed nice," I said sarcastically.

"Edward, get Maddie back to ours," Carlisle ordered.

Without a moment of hesitation, Edward led me to the cars and quickly did up my seatbelt. I felt like a child all over again.

"So, are you going to tell me exactly what is going on?" I asked Edward.

"Let's just say, I've made this the most interesting game of baseball ever."