Before you know it

"I have killed vampires like James before. It's hard, but not impossible," Jasper told us all, as we entered the garage.

"I hate having to kill. Even a sadistic one like him," Carlisle muttered.

"I don't think we really have much of a choice," Rose replied. "We can't let the bastard hurt Maddie."

"Yeah, but I don't want any of you getting hurt either, and Carlisle, if you don't want to do this you don't have to," I assured him.

"That is very kind of you, my dear. But this is something that I must do," Carlisle said, giving me a small smile.

"Ok, so how do we do this?" Edward asked, wrapping an arm around my waist.

"Well, we have to rip the body apart and burn it," Jasper answered bluntly.

"I'm taking that you mean literally and not metaphorically," I guessed, grimacing at the thought of it.

"You do mean literally? Please tell me you mean literally," Emmett practically begged Jasper.

"Of courses I mean literally. It's the only way we can ensure your safety. You do understand that, Maddie?" Jasper responded sympathetically.

"I understand it. I just don't want to think about what I would do if anything happened to any of you. You guys are my family and if something happens then I am going to feel so responsible for it," I ranted.

"It's sweet that you worry for us, but trust me. You don't have to. There are seven of us and two of them," Esme assured me.

"It'll be like taking candy from a baby," Emmett smirked.

"Babe, I don't think it'll be that easy," Rose sighed at Emmett.

"I hope not. It'll be more fun. It'll be just like one of those action sequences in the movies, how cool is that?" Emmett smiled at us all.

"Super cool," Jasper replied sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

"What about me? What can I do?" I asked.

"I'm going to drive you up south away from here," Edward began to explain, but was quickly interrupted by Jasper.

"No. James knows that you would never leave Maddie's side. He would immediately follow your trail," Jasper told him.

"So what is it you want us to do?" Edward asked frustrated.

"Jasper and I can take Maddie elsewhere, while you stay back here and help the others create a diversion," Alice suggested.

"Is there any point in arguing against it or have you already seen it?" Edward asked.

"I've already seen it," Alice replied sheepishly.

"Edward, I'll be fine," I assured him.

"Just promise me that you'll look after her," Edward said to Jasper and Alice.

"We promise," Alice smiled.

Alice took my hand and began to lead me to her car. I hopped into the back of it and rolled down the window to see Edward already standing there.

"Don't make that face," I teased him, stroking his furrowed eyebrows. "We don't want you aging and getting wrinkles before the ripe old age of never."

"It's not my fault that I'm worried," He muttered, causing me to laugh.

"Look, I bet that before you know it we'll be back here, sitting in your living room and watching me kick Emmett ass at black ops," I smiled at him.

"Woah, woah, woah. No way! I would definitely win," Emmett's boisterous voice echoed through the garage.

"Before you know it," I repeated to Edward.

"Please, don't do anything stupid," Edward begged me.

"You're forgetting who I'm going with. We've got Alice, who would see my decision before I'd even made it and then Jasper would pick up on a change in my mood telling him that my plan was about to happen," I explained, gesturing to the couple, who were now getting into the car.

"Don't worry, Edward. We'll watch her like a hawk," Jasper assured him.

"Ok?" I said to Edward.

"Ok. Be careful," Edward whispered, before kissing me.

"Ugh. Get a room, love birds," Emmett laughed.

"You get a room to practise your black ops skills before you lose to me," I retorted, once Edward had pulled away.

"I don't need practise. I am already a pro gamer," Emmett said.

"Just the fact that you call yourself a pro gamer, clearly shows that you are not," I laughed.

"You ready to go?" Alice asked.

"Ready as I'll ever be," I sighed. "Don't miss me too much," I smiled at Edward.

"I already am," He smiled weakly back.

"It's true. I can sense it," Jasper said from the front of the car.

"Bloody hell, Jasper. You're not supposed to be making me feel bad," I said to him.

"Oh, sorry," Jasper muttered, as the garage door finally opened fully.

"Let's go before I change my mind," I said.

"On it," Alice replied, stepping down on the acceleration pedal.

As we drove away, I stuck my head out of the window and blew Edward a kiss. He responded with catching it in his hand and holding it to his heart.

I went back into the car and leaned back against my headrest.

"You okay?" Alice asked.

"I'm fine," I responded, but I could tell that they both knew I didn't mean it.

I mean, how could I be? A bloody pair of vampires were after me and my family was putting themselves at risk to try and save me.