More than a Vampire

The powerful stench of bleach suffocated me as I felt myself regain my consciousness. My whole body felt stiff as though I had been covered in cement and left to remain in this position.

I couldn't really remember what had happened. All I know is that a psycho vamp tried to kill me then the rest of the Cullens showed up and saved me life, once again.

I felt a slight tingling in my left hand as the felling started to come back in my fingers. Using all my strength, I tried to stretch them out but the best I could do was a tiny wiggle of one of my fingers.

Suddenly, they felt colder and trapped in a firmly gripped hand. Despite the coolness of the touch, I tried to hold onto it as tight as I could. Which in this case wasn't very tight at all as my fingers were being stubborn and wouldn't move.

"Don't push yourself, my love," an angelic voice said, stroking the back of my hand.

"I'm not pushing myself," I thought in my head so that Edward could hear me.

"How do you feel?"

"How do I look?"

"Tired."

"Is that all? You know, considering I have just been stabbed in the chest and all."

"Don't joke about that, please. I thought I had lost you."

Hearing this, I slowly opened my eyes and looked over at Edward.

"You could never lose me."

"I'll keep you to that," Edward smiled at me.

"Can't believe I'm in a bloody hospital again. Might need to start reserving a bed cause at this rate I'll be back here by the end of the month."

Just then the door opened revealing a nurse and relieving Edward from having to respond to my comment.

"You're awake! Good. The doctor has prescribed you to several different medications that should help with the pain and the stiffness that you will be experiencing. We want to keep you here for a few more days but you should be able to go home soon," she explained.

"I thought I'd have to stay in here for ages. How long was I out for?" I asked. The nurse glanced over at Edward, who I saw was looking down at his feet. "Edward?"

"Miss Swan, you've been in a coma for two weeks," the nurse told me solemnly.

Just like that my world stopped as the truth dawned upon me. Two weeks? Shit!

"Tw--two weeks?" I muttered.

"I know it seems like a long time but--" The nurse began.

"It is a long time. Why was I out for so long?"

"We aren't a hundred percent certain but it is most likely because you lost so much blood. If it weren't for your boyfriend here... well, you might not have been as lucky," the nurse said.

"You have a strange definition of lucky," I muttered out through a yawn.

"You need a proper rest," the nurse suggested, attaching some sort of bag of liquid to the needle in my hand.

"I feel like sleeping beauty, for Christ sake. Two weeks of my life has been wasted on sleeping," I whispered, but I'm pretty sure that Edward was the only one to catch the last bit as I dozed back off into sleep.

I don't know how long I had dozed off for but it only felt like a few seconds before I felt someone perch on the edge of my bed.

"Maddie? Baby? Maddie," A soft female voice that I hadn't heard in several months said, as my eyes fluttered open for the second time.

"Mom?" I smiled weakly.

"Hey," She replied, smiling widely.

My eyes shifted over to wear Edward had been sitting when I fell asleep but the seat was empty.

"Where-where is he? Edward?" I asked.

"He's asleep," Mom said, looking over at the sofa on the other side of the room. I followed her eyeline and smiled when I saw him 'sleeping'. "He never leaves. And your dad, he's down at the cafeteria getting you a coffee. The nurses don't recommend you drink it but he told them that coffee will cure anything."

"What happened?" I asked, as the memories of it all were blurry.

"Well, when you were at the hotel, you tripped and fell down a flight of stairs. There was a window next to you when you fell and believe it or not but you fell out of the window when you reached the bottom of the stairs. You must have landed in the tree before falling out of it completely. You lost a lot of blood. Do you not remember any of this?" Mom explained, making me push my mind even harder to remember it.

"Not really," I sighed.

"Edward came down with his dad to try and convince you to come back to Forks," Mom said.

"Huh. Sounds like something I'd do," I chuckled weakly.

"Oh, honey, I'm so sorry," Mom said, stroking my hair. Her phone then buzzed so she looked down at it and sighed. "It's Phil. He's so worried about you." She then began to type away making me smile at her.

"You're texting?" 

"Yeah, finally."

"Welcome to the twenty-first century."

"I told him to stay down in Florida. Oh, honey, you are going to love Jacksonille. It's sunny every day, and we found the cutest little house, and you've got your own bathroom."

"Mom, I still want to live in Forks."

"What? I just thought that after everything you've been through here you'd want to leave and forget it all."

"Not everything that's happened to me has been bad," I smiled, looking over at Edward. "Do you mind getting dad? I think I'd better apologise for leaving without telling him."

"Okay, baby. I'll go get him," Mom said, giving me a kiss on the forehead. "And I'll get a nurse, okay?"

"Okay."

She got up and left the room. No sooner had she left was Edward over by my side.

"Have a nice sleep?" I smiled.

"Amazing," He replied sarcastically.

"So... you gonna tell me what happened to our cheerful rogue vamp?" 

"Let's just say that we sorted it out. Carlisle didn't stop us this time."

"Good. Have you seen what he did to my hair?" I smirked, glancing over at the knot in my hair.

"You still look beautiful, though," Edward replied, making me blush. "I'll never get bored of that."

"Bored of what?"

"This," He smiled weakly, stroking my blushed cheeks.

"What happened to the woman?" I asked.

"Oh, her. She got away."

"I guess that's just another problem for another day. Thank you for getting me here."

"If it weren't for me you wouldn't have needed to come here in the first place."

"You must not blame yourself. I knew the danger I was putting myself in when I agreed to all of this and Edward, I don't regret it."

"But the danger is too great now. You have to go to Jacksonville where you'll be safe from me and my kind."

"If this Victoria person is as determined to kill me as James was--" I saw Edward flinch slightly when I said kill so I grabbed his cold hand in my warm one. "--where I am won't make a difference. At least if I stay here then while we wait for that inevitable day, we can be together."

"Together? I like the sound of that," Edward smiled.

"Well, I'm glad cause I'm not going anywhere. It'll take more than a rogue vampire to scare me away."

1260 Words