Fight For Survival

I looked between the psycho vamp, James and the pissed off expressions on Jasper and Alice's faces.

"You know, usually I would kill the two of you. But at the request of the human, you shall live just until the I kill her of course," James told them.

"Yeah, that's not gonna happen," Jasper replied dangerously, taking a step forward.

Suddenly, I felt cold hands around my throat.

"Take another step and she dies right here," James warned them, tightening his grip around my throat.

At this rate, I wouldn't be able to breathe in a matter of seconds.

"Let her go. You're problem is with us, not her," Alice told him.

"No, no. I think she is very much a part of the problem. She smells so nice, don't you agree? Don't you just want to drain her of all her blood. Of course you do. I can see it in your eyes," James smirked.

"James, stop it. They don't deserve this," I begged him.

Honestly, I didn't care what happened to me, as long as everyone else was ok. It was because of me that they were in this situation. Me and my stupid human smell.

"Don't deserve this? Of course they do. Every vampire knows that humans are food, not family or friends," James whispered into my ear, making me squirm to get out of his grip.

"Not every vampire," a new voice joined us.

I turned to my left and saw a figure approaching us.

"Ah, Edward. How kind of you to join us. Are the rest of you here? Then we will have a full audience," James laughed.

"Burn in hell," Edward replied before flinging himself at us.

I went flying into the opposite wall and I could feel blood oozing out of the back of my head. It felt all too familiar as I remembered how Danny attacked me.

"Maddie, are you ok?" Carlisle asked, helping me get up.

"I think so," I replied, getting up.

All around me I could just see blurs of figures running and was struggling to distinguish who was who.

I felt Carlisle leave my side so I leant up against the wall for support. I had never felt so useless before. There was nothing that I could do to help the others.

Maybe if I found a rock or a stick that I could use to hit James with, it would be slightly useful. Probably not, but it's worth a try.

I started scrambling round to try and find something to defend myself with and it was just my luck that I found a large stick. Not sure how helpful it'll be, though.

"Maddie, look out!" Emmett yelled suddenly.

Next thing I knew, a searing pain came through my stomach.

"What the hell?" I muttered through gritted teeth.

I plucked up the courage and looked down at my chest to see the stick that had once been in my hand, plunged into my body.

"Shit," I moaned.

Desperately, I tried to stay standing but I couldn't. The pain was unimaginable but my mind was soon taken from it as I felt Jasper trying to calm me.

I felt calm but I was still in pain. Nothing could take that pain.

My vision was soon dotted with specks of red as I tried to remain conscious. Why was I so weak? If this happened to them, they would probably just get up and continue fighting. I couldn't even do that.

I grasped at the stick in my chest and was about to pull it out when I felt a cold hand on mine.

"Don't pull it out. You'll lose more blood," Carlisle warned. "We need to get you to a hospital."

"No. No hospitals. I'm fine," I slurred out.

"Maddie, you literally have a stick in your chest. You need a hospital," I heard Rosalie say.

"I'll take her. I'm quickest," Edward suggested.

"Ok. But you're going to need to get her there within a few minutes. She's losing a lot of blood," Carlisle said.

I felt a pair of cold arms gently lift me and was soon surrounded by the cool evening air that whipped through my hair as Edward ran.

"Mads, you gotta stay with me. I can't lose you, not now," Edward said.

"I'm still here. It's gonna take a lot more than a stupid stick to kill me. You know, this stick was meant for that bastard. Actually, what happened to him?" I muttered.

"Emmett and Jasper tore him to pieces and they were going to take them somewhere to burn," Edward explained. "I'm so sorry this happened to you."

"It's just a little scratch. I'm sure that if you gave me a wet paper towel I would be able to mend it," I whispered through gasps of breath.

"Your sarcasm really is not helping," Edward replied.

"It's not supposed to be," I chuckled , but that sent another surge of pain through my body.

"Hold on. Don't leave me," Edward repeated, but this time I had no answer for him as I allowed the darkness to overtake me.