Playing the Waiting Game

The journey out of Forks was pretty much a silent one. None of us had anything that we wanted to talk about; nothing that could ease the tension at least.

I must have dozed off at some point as I was awoken by Alice gently shaking my shoulders telling me that we'd arrived.

For now we would be staying at a hotel until we got an update about the whole nomad vamp situation. Come to think of it, I had no idea where we were.

It was only when we got into the hotel room did I ask.

"Alice, where are we?" I asked, walking over to the sofa and collapsing into it.

"We're just outside of Phoenix," Alice answered. (I have no idea if that is where they went but let's pretend it is).

Suddenly I remembered...

Dad!

I hadn't told him about me leaving and how was I going to explain the whole vampire situation to him? No, I couldn't. If I did he would be in even danger.

But what if James or Victoria went to Dads house? I mean, they can take Bella for all I care, but Dad...absolutely not. I need to warn him, but how?

Oh hey, Dad. By the way I'm dating a vampire and now there are some crazy ass vampires who want me dead and to get to me they might come and attack you. Hope you're well. Your idiot daughter.

As quick as I typed it, I deleted the message and chucked my phone to the other side of the sofa.

"Maddie, what's wrong?" Jasper asked, sitting on the table opposite me.

"What's going on with my Dad? Will James or Victoria try and get to him?" I asked quickly.

"Don't worry about Charlie. Esme and Rose are keeping watch on your house," Jasper assured me.

That made me feel slightly better but what if the two of them wasn't enough to keep them out. Laurent has said that they were smart vampires and it's not that I don't think the Cullens aren't smart, it's just that what if they lose them?

And what if one of them got hurt? Or worse? It would all be my fault. This whole mess is my fault and if anyone gets hurt because of it...I wouldn't know what to do.

I got up off the sofa and began to pace the room, in hope that I would tire myself out and fall asleep. I barely noticed Alice go and sit beside Jasper and rest her head on her shoulder. God, why were they so cute?

I can remember my first ever day of school at Forks and how all of the kids had called them weird and all of that stuff, but they're not; they're just misunderstood.

"You know your staring is getting a little creepy," Jasper said to me, and only then did I realise I had been staring.

"Sorry," I muttered, returning to my pacing. "You know what? I'm hungry. I'm gonna go and get some food."

"Are you sure it's safe?" Alice asked, sitting up.

"Probably not, but I'm hungry and I have..." I trailed off, pulling out two dollars. "Two dollars."

"I don't think you should leave this room," Jasper recommended.

"Don't worry. I'll just go down to the cafe in the hotel," I assured them.

"But we're coming with you," Alice decided.

"Ok," I shrugged, walking out of the room.

I could hear their light patter of feet on the floor behind me as I lead them to the little cafe on the ground floor.

"I don't like this," I heard Alice mutter, as we walked to the food section.

"I'll be super quick. Give me two minutes tops," I replied.

"One minute," Jasper countered.

"Bloody hell, Jasper. Who do you think I am? Flash?" I retorted, picking up a cereal bar.

We made our way over to the till and I handed over my pathetic two dollars, only getting a couple cents change.

When we'd done that, Alice linked our arms and we went back up to the room, locking the door straight away.

"See, told you it would be fine," I smirked at them.

"We got lucky," Jasper countered.

"Sure..." I trailed off.

I sat back down on the sofa and ate my cereal bar silently. Beside me was the tv controller, which I picked up and began flicking through the channels.

"Why is there never anything good on tv?" I pondered aloud.

"What are you talking about? Look...a documentary on cockroaches?" Jasper laughed to himself.

"Brilliant," I muttered.

Giving in, I switched off the tv and got up to put my package in the bin.

"Maddie, maybe you should try sitting still," Alice suggested.

"Sit still? How can I sit still when I know that the others are out there risking their lives trying to protect me?" I asked rhetorically.

"We've done stuff like this before. You don't need to worry about any of us," Alice tried to reassure me again.

Yeah, what is there to worry about? Oh, I think I could name a couple of things.