Tender Calamity

Tokoyami was perched on a polyester stool in his cabin, with both arms placed on the aluminum table. He was eating a light bowl of soup for dinner, which was what he always ate at that hour. Accompanying the meal was a bottle of Sake, which he drank after every slurp.

He rested his head on the metal, letting the bottle roll down the table and onto the floor, breaking on impact. Tokoyami couldn't care less, wishing that everything would finally end.

He hadn't moved on for eight years.

7 YEARS AND 10 MONTHS AGO

Tokoyami approached the central hospital, which was near U.A High. He had been going to see Tsuyu Asui, usually before Aeon arrived a few hours later.

He always brought some of his homemade tea along with him, a recipe that his father had taught him when he was a young boy.

When he entered Asui's room, she didn't look as bad as usual. She was propped up in her bed, and reading a book that Aizawa had given her the other day.

"Hello, Tsu," greeted Tokoyami, smiling at her happily. She returned the smile, motioning for him to come closer. He complied, handing her the materials for his drink. "It's Gyokuro."

"Really? That's my favorite!" exclaimed Asui, taking the items excitedly.

"What a coincidence," remarked Tokoyami, even though he had known all too well. He wanted to act surprised to give her as much joy as possible. He somehow knew that she would survive this, but wanted to make sure that if he was wrong, he would get to spend every minute he could with her.

"Tokoyami, why do you bring me all of this stuff? I'm going to be fine!" insisted Asui. He frowned at Tsuyu, placing his hand on her shoulder.

"I know, but...I want to help you recover as best as I can. I also quite enjoy your company," replied Tokoyami, keeping his warm smile fresh on his beak.

"I quite enjoy your company too," mocked Asui, doing her best Tokoyami impression. He chuckled afterward, and took a seat next to her bed.

He stayed with her until Aeon came nearly three hours later.

PRESENT

Bakugo had just gotten a message from the police station, informing him about the location of three hostages. He recognized two of them immediately, as they were his former classmates. He couldn't place the third name, however, but he thought he had heard it somewhere before.

"Have you ever heard the name Shinso?" asked Bakugo, while Aeon packed the supplies for their raid. Aeon shook his head, but thought he had perhaps heard it somewhere. He couldn't place it though, so he didn't want to give Bakugo false hope.

Mina had heard of Shinso, but didn't speak. She was still seated in her assigned corner, and didn't move an inch. She hadn't moved ever since they returned from the police station.

"What are we going to do with her while we're out?" asked Aeon. "We can't take her with us!"

"We're gonna have to," sighed Bakugo, not wanting to leave her behind. He still was incredibly suspicious of the villain, and knew that if they tied her up, she could break free with her acid.