Explosive Strategy

After leaving Mina and Aeon alone in the apartment, Tokoyami and Bakugo resumed their search for the Federation hideout. They didn't find any hard evidence of a location, which discouraged the duo and the Yaoyorozu Agency. Following a few hours of investigating, Tokoyami received a sudden phone call. 

"It's an unknown number," commented Tokoyami, making Bakugo suspicious. 

"It could be the villains trying to contact us. Answer it," advised Bakugo, looking around for any hidden villains. 

"This is Fumikage Tokoyami," he said politely, waiting for a response from Dabi or some other villain in the Federation. Instead, he heard the voice of a concerned, unfamiliar woman. 

"Hello, Fumikage, this is the Central General Hospital, calling about one of our recently admitted patients. His name is Keigo Takami, and you were his emergency contact." 

Tokoyami felt his heart sink when he heard his mentor's name, and realized that Dabi had been true to his threat. He hoped that Hawks wasn't fatally injured, and his wounds weren't too severe. 

He didn't think he could handle another death. 

"How is he?" asked Tokoyami, but already knew the result must've been bad. Dabi and Hawks fought one another almost eight years ago, and the latter was almost killed in the conflict. 

"Takami has stabilized, but his wounds are very serious. He has massive burns all over his body, and...his legs have been severed below his knees," she explained, having trouble explaining his wounds without breaking her calm persona. 

"That b..bastard," winced Tokoyami, picturing Hawks in his mind. If his legs were gone, then he would never be able to fly again. 

The duo stopped their investigation to visit Hawks in the hospital, who was just recovering from the anesthesia and numbing drugs he was given. Takami was positioned upright in his hospital bed, reading a crinkled magazine about the hero billboard charts. 

"Next year'll be a blast," muttered Hawks, sipping some water from a paper cup. Tokoyami entered the room to see his mentor, who was obviously expecting him to arrive. 

"Hawks," whispered Tokoyami, immediately noticing the man's lack of full legs. He had two stubs just below his knees, which were wrapped with a papery material to preserve the limited skin that covered both wounds. 

Hawks smiled at his student when he walked in, but was still thoroughly confused as to why he would be involved with a villain like Dabi. "Fumikage, great to see you. It's been so many years since you...retired," he joked. 

Tokoyami didn't even flinch at the quip, however, as he was still petrified at the sight of Hawks' missing legs. "It's good to see you...too."  

Hawks took note of Tokoyami's sadness and ruled out that he could have possibly betrayed the heroes in some way. If he really was the cause of Dabi's attack, then it might have been unintentional. 

"Before you try to blame yourself, there was nothing you could have done to save me. You live in the woods, which is an endless distance from my house. What I really want to know, is why Dabi told me that it was your fault that they went and tried to kill me," questioned Hawks. 

Tokoyami stared at Hawks guiltily, but knew that he had still made the right choice. Dabi threatened him with Hawks' death, but only if he gave up Eri, which he couldn't do. 

"He threatened me by saying he would kill you if I didn't give up a sixteen year old girl. You're a hero, and can defend yourself, but she still hasn't even mastered her quirk yet, and I didn't think he was serious-"