Prologue 07 ~Warm-Hearted Principal~

~Twisted Wonderland~

Grim was still catching his breath from Himemiya's lap. And surprisingly, unlike before, he didn't try to push her away or reject her actions.

"H-How's that...!?" Grim huffed in-between his ragged breathing.

When Himemiya looked up to see the principal, he was already in his former human body.

"Who would have thought," he pondered as he looked at her with analytical gaze, "To think there would be a human who could make monsters obey them..."

Himemiya said nothing as she waited for the man to elaborate.

"Actually, my teacher-senses had been tingling ever since the uproar back at the opening ceremony that you, Himemiya-" Crowley said, "...might have the makings of a trainer or a beastmaster."

From that conclusion, both Himemiya and Grim looked confused and surprised at the same time.

"However..." Crowley spoke up before he began to mumble by himself, completely ignoring the duo.

"Pehh, what does that mean? I'm the one who's doing the work and in the end, he had the results for this guy instead..." Grim grumbled as he finally regained his strength back.

Unfortunately, Himemiya heard what the little creature had said and a pang of guilt began to form in her.

With a determined resolve, she stood up and face the man.

"U-Um, Principal Crowley?" she called out and the man finally had his attention back to reality as he looked at her.

"Yes, Himemiya? What is it?"

"I was wondering..." she started before she pulled herself together and asked, "Is it possible to let Grim stay in this dorm with me?"

"What was that? You want to let a monster stay here?" Crowley asked in disbelief and even Grim was surprised by the request itself.

"Y-You..."

"Please!" she bowed down, in hopes that it might persuade the man into agreeing with her request.

Crowley hummed in contemplation and the silence she received only made her nervous. Until she heard his soft sigh.

"It can't be helped," he said, "Very well. I shall allow it."

Himemiya and Grim both had a happy look on their faces, especially the latter.

"R-Really!? Yay-!" not before he could celebrate, Crowley cut him off.

"However!" the man stressed, "I can't simply allow someone that wasn't chosen by the Mirror of Darkness, not to mention a monster at the very least, to enroll into the school."

He directed his gaze to the young woman next, "And that includes you as well, Himemiya. I can't let you just freeload here until the day you found a way to return to your own world."

"Aww, come on... That was such a short-lived joy..." Grim grumbled under his breath and Himemiya somewhat agreed to his statement.

"Well, at least listen to what I have to say until the end," Crowley interrupted.

"The fact that your soul was summoned here by the Mirror of Darkness, we, the academy, are also to be responsible as the one who owned the mirror for this mistake," he explained.

"For the time being, we will allow you to stay at this dorm for free," he continued, "However, as for the living necessities, you will have to pay those by yourself."

Himemiya was about to ask something in regards to that but Crowley beat her to it.

"I know, I know. You don't have any Madols to spare, which is this world's currency to buy the things around here," he said, "Which is why I've decided to let you work in exchange for those Madols."

"What can I do then?" she asked with a hint of uncertainty.

"Hmm, about that. What can I give someone as empty-handed as you to work here..." Crowley pondered before he began to chuckle, quite ominously as it went, "Fufufu, that's right. How about this~?"

'I-I have a bad feeling about this...' she thought as her whole body tensed.

"Now, now, you don't have to be so on guard about it," he said as his previous ominous presence disappeared in an instant, "I was thinking of making you do odd jobs like maintenance within the school."

At the mention of odd jobs, Himemiya's previous doubt and uncertainty were gone.

"That's...it?" she asked for reconfirmation and the man nodded his head.

"Exactly. And based on what I saw what you've done in the lounge area, you seemed to be quite good at cleaning, Himemiya."

For once, she wondered if she should be happy for being praised that way. True, she can't stand the messy and dirty surroundings. But to think that the principal would take advantage of it to make her work around the school. Just thinking about it made her head dizzy.

"For now, how about you two team up as 'handymen'?" Crowley suggested and at the same time, Himemiya and Grim both exchanged an equal questioning look on their faces.

"If you agree to do so, not only will you get the permission to stay in the school but you will also be allowed to use the library to search for information on how to go back to your world. And of course, to study too," Crowley explained.

"However!" he stressed, "You can only do that AFTER you finish your work."

"Ehh~? But I don't want to!" Grim protested after staying silent for a long time, "I want to wear those cool uniforms and become a student like everyone else too!"

Himemiya looked over to the little creature with a sad look, "Grim..."

"If you find this unsatisfying, then I understand," Crowley said, "In that case, then we'll just simply throw you out again."

"F-Funa!?" Grim immediately panicked at the thought of being thrown out especially when the man had offered him to stay in the school.

"What? You refuse to agree to my terms of staying here right? Then I might as well-"

"O-Okay, I got it! All I have to do is keep the school clean and in good shape, right!? Right!?"

Crowley hummed satisfyingly before he averted his gaze to the young woman next, "How about you? Do you agree to my terms?"

"Well, it's not like I have any other choice," Himemiya said, "Besides, it's better than not doing anything at all."

"A good answer! You, Grim, should learn a thing or two from her," Crowley teasingly goaded the little creature which only made Grim rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"Pehh..."

"Well then, you two!" Crowley suddenly became motivated, "Starting tomorrow, do work hard as Night Raven College's handymen!"

He placed one hand on Himemiya's shoulder and give her a wide smile, "I look forward to it then, Himemiya-kun~"

~To be continued~