He's Just a Phase, Right? [Just Friends]

When you entered the common room you found it empty. Everyone else was still in classes for another five minutes or so, so you sat on the couch and waited. Because your luck sucked lately, you let out an umph! as the air was knocked out of you from Harry throwing his bookbag over the couch.

"Kris! I didn't see you!" he said, quickly picking the bag off of you. You rubbed your stomach with a pained expression.

"What's in there! Bricks?!" you yelled frustrated.

"Actually yes." Harry said. Ron snorted. You stared.

"What?" you asked.

"We were turning feathers into bricks in Transfiguration." Harry said, as Ron laughed.

"Oh. Glad I missed that." you said.

"Yeah… But you’re back!” He said excitedly, pulling you into a hug. “How's your brother?"

"Uh, fine?" you said, confused.

“I wish you had told me before you left. I would have gone with you.” he said sincerely.

“Oh… well, it was all so sudden…” You improvised. He seemed to understand. Hermione walked in. As soon as she saw you, she ran over and tugged your arm.

"We need to talk." She whispered. You smiled at Ron and Harry as you were dragged up to the girls dormitories by a frantic Hermione. She slammed the door and turned to you.

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!" she yelled. You winced.

"Why did Harry ask about my brother?" you asked, changing the subject and also quite curious.

"I covered for you, saying your brother was in the hospital for appendicitis," she said. You grabbed Hermione and pulled her into a bear hug.

"HERMIONE, THANK YOU! I had no idea how I would explain this!" you said. Hermione pulled away from you.

"Don't avoid the question. You had me worried sick!" she said seriously.

"Hermione, it's private. Can't you just leave it?" you gave her a pleading look.

"Okay... For now." she said, somewhat angrily. You sighed and got dressed for bed. Hermione gave you a questioningly look.

"What?" you asked, getting into bed.

"It's only 6:30," she said.

"I'm a little thrown off on time... I'm exhausted though. See you tomorrow," you said. She nodded and turned out the lights on her way out. You smiled as your head hit the pillow. Finally, back to normal life.

*    *    *    *

Hermione woke you at 6 in the morning. You got up fully rested for the first time in months.

"What are you so happy about?" she asked.

"Just great to be back, I guess." you said. You grabbed your clothes and walked off to the bathroom. You took a hot shower that lasted about 20 minutes and got ready. You walked down to the common room, where Harry, Ron, and Hermione were talking. You sat next to Harry and was taken by surprise when he leaned over and kissed you. You realized that as far as he knew, you guys were nearly a couple. But as he sat next to you, completely oblivious to what you had been doing the last few days, you felt horrible. You smiled and pretended everything was normal, thinking this wasn't the right time.

"So your brother's good?" he asked. You nodded.

"You are going to have a monster load of homework to make up," Ron said.

"Don't remind me. Ready to go?" They nodded and you all went down to breakfast, Harry's arm around your shoulders. You felt sick. He was so happy. So oblivious. Although you weren’t an official couple, you felt like you had betrayed him. And although you and Draco agreed that you were not going to be together, you didn’t feel right about keeping up a relationship with Harry without telling him the truth. And telling the truth was something you couldn’t bare doing. He would be so hurt. He loved you so much. You chewed it over through the entire walk down to breakfast. You were still unsure, but you didn’t think you could make it through breakfast without addressing it.