He's Just a Phase, Right? [Brawl In The Halls]

You stared at the board, copying down the same line over and over again in your notes. You were torn out of your thoughts when someone nudged you. You shifted in your seat so that you could see him out of the corner of your eye.

"What?" you whispered quietly.

"What's wrong? You've been distant lately." he muttered back.

"Nothing. I'm fine." you said, turning back away. You were surprised when Draco put his hand over yours. You looked at him questioningly.

"If you write that sentence one more time..." he said, pulling his hand away. You looked down at your notes for the first time.

Stir clockwise 14 times

You sighed frustrated and crossed out the whole page.

"We need to talk." he whispered. You shook your head.

"I can't. I have to do some homework with Hermione. I already promised her." you stammered.

"Please, Kris.” he said, throwing some ingredients into the cauldron. You didn't say anything for the rest of the class. When the class was dismissed Draco slipped a piece of parchment into your hand before getting up and walking to the Slytherins. You opened it and glanced down while nobody was looking

Room of Requirement. 6:30.

You waved your wand quickly and it disappeared to your room. You glanced at Ron, Harry and Hermione. They hadn’t spoken to you in weeks, and it looked as though they weren’t planning on starting today. They were already halfway to the door. As you passed through the rows, Pansy shot out her chair straight into you. You tripped over it, landing on your side. An intense pain radiated throughout your left arm.

"Pansy what the hell?!" you heard. To your surprise, and everyone else’s, Draco knelt down and picked you up. He froze, realizing his mistake.

"Draco... What are you doing?!" Pansy asked, flustered. Draco stood you up, watching you closely as you clutched your arm. You gave him a worried look.

"Nothing." he said simply. You stared in shock at the lame excuse as he walked out of the room. You turned to everyone and tried to shrug, but your arm hurt with every move.

"I think it's broken." you said.

"I'll walk you to the hospital wing." Harry offered. You, Ron, and Hermione stared in shock. He grabbed your bag and everyone moved to let you through. The two of you left the silent room, neither of you speaking.

*    *    *    *

"Well you're good to go!" Madam Pomfrey said. You hopped off the table, bending your arm back and forth. Harry got up from the chair he sat in for the last 30 minutes, stretching out his legs.

“Thanks.” you said, then grabbed your stuff and followed Harry out. You walked in awkward silence up two floors before he spoke.

“I forgive you.”

“What?” you asked, surprised and ecstatic by his words.

“You weren’t yourself. I forgive you.”

“Harry… How?” you asked. He stopped, looking at you confusedly. But you were dumbfounded. “All year, I’ve treated you horribly. I’ve lied to you. And yet, you are still here. How can you forgive me? I… I can’t even forgive me!”

“I don’t know. Maybe I don’t have a good reason. I probably shouldn’t forgive you. But I do.” You couldn’t have imagined how happy you would feel hearing those words coming from Harry’s mouth.

“Thank you, Harry. Honestly, I needed to hear that.”

“I just wish you would talk to me. I’ve been going crazy worrying about you.”

“Don’t worry about me, Harry. I’m not worth it, really.”

“Don’t say that.” He came up to you and pulled you into a hug. “Please, just tell me. Tell me everything. I promise I won’t get upset. Not even about… Malfoy.”

“What about Malfoy?” you fished.

“You tell me.” he said. You didn’t know what he knew already. You definitely didn’t want to be caught in another lie. But you couldn’t tell him the truth either. You were afraid. He touched your arm, still bruised from when Matt grabbed you.

“Did he do this to you?” he asked seriously.

“What?! NO! Harry, no! I swear.”

“Then who did?” he implored. He begged you to tell him, but you couldn’t. You didn’t have the strength to speak about it out loud. You had managed to suppress it from your thoughts. Seeing that he was getting nowhere, he shook his head.

“I can’t sit by and watch this, Kris. I have to do something!”

“Harry, please don’t.”

“I have no choice. I care too much about you to sit back and do nothing.” Before you could plead anymore, he left. You hugged your arms to your chest, trying to steady your breathing. If he talked to Dumbledore, or anyone, you were in deep trouble.

"Hello, Kris." your insides clenched, and you turned around quickly. Matt had just turned the corner and nearly ran into you. He noticed your immediate reaction. "Woah... What's the matter?" he put his hand on your shoulder. You stiffened. "Don't be like that." he cooed. You slapped his hand away.