He's Just a Phase, Right? [Coming Out]

Draco left a note for you, saying he went to the Slytherin common rooms so that nobody would see him. Good thing he thought of that, since you didn't. All the girls in the dormitories made so much noise you couldn't possibly have slept through it. So you got up, your head pounding from the previous night's festivities. When you finished getting dressed in your school uniform you saw Hermione come out of the bathroom, all wide awake and bubbly. It made you sick.

“Hi.”

“Oh, hi Kris.” she said, her mood dampening slightly at the sight of you. You had every intention of respecting the fact that she was angry with you and giving her space. You continued getting ready in silence.

“Harry told me what happened between you two.”

“Did he?” you asked. She nodded. “And… do you know if he…?”

“Went to Dumbledore?” you nodded. “No, I don’t believe he did.”

“Really?” you breathed a sigh of relief.

“I don’t think he can bring himself to do it.”

“Why? He seemed pretty adamant about it yesterday.” you asked, confused.

“He doesn’t want you to have to leave.”

“I can’t leave. I have nowhere to go.” you said, the truth in the statement hurting more than you imagined it would. She watched you sadly. You tried to lighten the mood. "So where were you last night?" you asked. Hermione suddenly began fiddling with her bag to try and fit in all the books, pretending not to hear the question.

"Hrm?" she said when you tapped her on the shoulder.

"Last night? Around, oh, 1:30 A.M. or so? You weren't here." you said.

"Of course I was!" she said defensively. Interesting...

"No you weren't because that's when I came up and you weren't here." you got up and picked up your bag, ignoring the pain in your head at every word spoken throughout the conversation.

"Well... er... what were you doing out so late?!" she said. You knew what was happening. She was panicking. This must be good.

"Were you with Ron?" you prodded.

"Why on earth would I be with Ron at 1:30 in the morning? Honestly!" she sighed.

"I dunno... Why would you be with Ron at 1:30 in the morning Hermione?" you smiled at her uncomfortable stance. You just couldn't figure out why she can't act like a normal girl and gush it all out.

"We do not have time for this. Breakfast is already starting!" and she was gone. You followed her quickly to see proof. And you were not disappointed. When you poked your head out you saw Ron get up to greet Hermione. They were both giddy and Ron was blushing furiously. They turned and walked out together. You were about to go back upstairs when you noticed another set of emerald green eyes poking around the wall to where Hermione and Ron had disappeared. You snuck toward him.

"Spying is wrong you know." Harry jumped backward in surprise.

"Yeah, so explain what you were doing then!" he started.

"I was spying. But I'm okay with being wrong." you laughed. He smiled, but then it slowly faded. You stopped smiling too, seeing the mark on his cheek. You reached up and touched his face gently.

"Harry, I’m really sorry. You have no idea how sorry I am.” He didn’t walk away. He was obviously willing to hear you out. That was half the battle. “My life is a big horrible mess. And so much has happened since this summer that I haven’t been able to deal with. I just avoid things, hoping they go away!”