ct-3 The Other side

Garett struggled through the deep snow. The wind blew ferociously, unnaturally. Like it was warning him and his six companions to go back. He wouldn't go back.

He would explore this unexplored part of the world no matter the cost. No one knew what was here, anyone who did was probably dead. This place was truly uninhabitable, but he and his companions came prepared for anything.

It was too cold, and the food would occasionally be frozen but occasionally they would find a cave manageable and they would rest and make a fire that threatened to go off every time the wind lashed out. They began to use spare clothing to start the fires and they used the wood they brought to keep it alive.

One week here and they had found no living thing, not even a plant. Doubts occasionally crept in that there was much here to explore, and on the ninth day he would have given up had they not come across a cave so large it seemed inhabitable.

The top was high and there were three thrones made of ice on a dais at the center of the cave.

"What in the world?" Said Sharaya, the most trusted of  his companions. Her beautiful face stark with amazement.

"You May yet be unto something after all Garett." said Roudog who never believed in this mission but would follow Sharaya to the ends of the earth.

"Come, let's make a fire then explore this place." Garett said eagerly.

They made to proceed but suddenly heard a voice.

"Mortals." Garett turned in shock to find three persons sitting on the three seats.

Their bodies feeble but tall. Their faces pure white so that even their white hair seemed part of their face. They had no pupils, just a white eye socket.

Now this was progress, Garett thought. The rest of his team looked like they were about to bolt but Garett simply approached the dais.

"Dead gods." he heard Blue whisper behind him.

"What in the world are you?" Garett asked the strange looking...beings.

"We are not of the world." they all said together "And you are not of this place. You must leave."

"Leave? Why? If there are more like you then I must meet them."

"There are no more like us mortal!" They said impatiently

"You call us mortals, what exactly does that make you? Immortal?"

"Do not test me mo..." They stopped abruptly.

Then whispers filled the room, great whispers that Garett and his companions had to cover their ears. Then the whispers also stopped.

"You fools...you have led them here."

"Led who here?" Garett asked

"The evil." They said "Your lives mean nothing to us mortal, but perhaps the mass of your race has value."

The one in the middle stretched his hand and a small ball glowing a light blue appeared there making three or four of his companions gasp.

"Take this mortal." They said "We can no longer protect it for the evil now knows it exists and it is no longer safe with us but with the one who it is destined for."

"You're not making any sense." Garett was saying, a bit of panic now creeping into him. "What is the evil and-"

"Take this staff." They said and a gray staff appeared at Garett's feet. "Go far out into the brewing storm and stamp it in the snow. It will take you all as far as the border of these lands. You must find the one destined for the ball lest your whole race fall to the evil."