ct-19 Malakai

"I fear if you all refuse...there will be great bloodshed." Garett said.

Katherine stared at the brown haired man with gray eyes like Kai's. Only Garett's was a deeper grey.

She had heard him talk about what he saw on the other side and all the creatures he had seen, like the elf beside her. He had even shown them, using his mental powers. It was a throbbing pain when she saw those images.

Images of red eyed creatures almost unfathomable. Images of trolls, and people who could turn into wolves, and freaking fairies.

But even with all she had heard and seen, even with the elf beside her, it was still hard to believe these things had been in existence all this while.

She struggled not to look at Kai who was eating a bread roll. She was still angry. She wanted to be angry forever. But she feared that may prove impossible.

She also feared she was more angry at the fact that he had been lying to her rather than that he was an assassin. Would he have ever left the cadre if they didn't kill Mara?

"Where are these other creatures now?" Kai asked.

"There's a forest between Mohja and the other side. Their home is —" Garett hesitated, looking to the elf.

"Our home is glamoured. No one passes the forest for fear of the other side just beyond it. But there are other magical beasts that lurk there." The elf said. "And don't call us creatures."

"It would be harder to generalize you all." Kai said.

"How about ye juai's?" Garett asked

The elf was silent for a few seconds, leaving the rest of them to wonder what ye juai meant.

"Acceptable." she said

"This is crazy." Esther said.

Garett sighed.

"I have one more thing to show you." Garett said.

He got up and came back a minute later with a dull blue ball. Katherine had to look at Kai now. They both exchanged looks of recognition. Esther caught their movement.

"Have you both seen this ball before?" Esther asked.

"I saw it once in a dream." Kai said.

"It seems it has already started reaching for you." Garett said.

"What do you mean?" Kai asked

So Garett told them the story of Babayega. His knowledge was much more descriptive than all the ancient books.

"I'm good with a sword. That's all." Kai repeated again.

"Touch the mala ball Kai. Become Malakai." Garett said.

Malakai. That's what the elf called Kai.

Kai got up from the table, calm as he was always, except when killing.

"You've got the wrong guy." Kai said, then left to the sitting room. The house wasn't very big.

"Listen." Garett said silently to Katherine "There's not a lot of time. He'll listen to you."

"I'd be doubtful if I were him too." Katherine said.

"Please." Garett pleaded.

Katherine looked at Esther.

"There's not many ways we can help." Esther said.

Katherine sighed. Then got up and walked to Kai who stood at the sitting room window.