ct-4 The Resolve

Katherine had sent a squad of guards looking for the fighter who saved her life the night he ran away. She was having breakfast the next morning with her sister in the queens house while Nesta stood by the door grim faced but pretty...in a harsh way.

Nesta was the queen's personal guard, something Esther had been trying to convince Katherine to have too.

Nesta had chin length purple hair and hazel eyes, and she was the best fighter in the kingdom. She spoke little and did her job well.

"So...how's Adrian?" Esther had asked.

Katherine eyed her sister suspiciously then tossed a grape into her mouth.

"He's well." she said

"And Jerome?" Esther asked again.

This time Katherine glared at her.

"Jerome is fine." she replied

"Oh and what about -"

"Why are we talking about men S?"

"You keep hanging around with lords and governors of not just our kingdom but kingdoms across the sea."

"So?"

"So?"

"I'm just securing alliances S. It's not a big deal"

"I don't need you to secure alliances Kat I have
people for that."

"Well I've got to be useful somehow."

"You are useful. I don't need you making promises you can't keep or selling your body for our kingdom"

"I am not selling my body. I'm doing what I can, period!"

They were silent for a while before Esther spoke again.

"I'm sorry Kat I didn't mean it that way. I just want you to be safe and happy with you know...with one man."

"I'm happy Esther and I don't need a man now. Okay? I'll be safe." Katherine said. Esther sighed in defeat.

"I know suitors are lined up for you though." Katherine said while eating "You haven't even given one a thought."

"I will...eventually" Esther said and before she could speak again there was a knock on the door.

Nesta walked out and came back in with a guard.

Nesta's gaze was thoroughly assessing making the poor man uncomfortable.

"Nesta you might as well strip him naked with your gaze." Esther said while she and Katherine laughed.

Nesta eased up then and actually let out a smirk.

"Lady Queen, Lady Princess. We have located your...man" the guard said conscious of his choice of words.

"Ouuu." Katherine exclaimed excitedly as she patted her mouth with a napkin and rose from her seat.

"Where do you think you're going?" Esther asked

"I'm going to meet the man who saved me." Katherine answered.

"Are you crazy? You were almost killed yesterday you can't go out there again."

"Something tells me he won't be very willing to come back to the castle, and a swarm of guards pulling one man would draw too much attention. Relax S, I'll carry as many guards as you want."

"And you're better than the guards?" Esther asked.

Katherine just smiled making Esther sigh outwardly.