ct-28 prepare for battle

The words, 'A hundred to one' kept ringing in Kai's head. How did the expulsion of Babayega's magical power create so many of the evil?

It was now daybreak. No one had slept. No one could sleep.

The village was a considerable distance behind Kai. Abel stood beside him. The chief, Amish and Xander stood together. A few others stood around.

Kai left Katherine back at the village, much to her protests. Ava, who was apparently the chief's mate, would prepare the village in case Adium, the goblin leader's plan went south.

Ahead of Kai stood five trolls, Gruff amongst them. He ordered the other four around. They were about to pummel the land into a valley. It sounded impossible but it turned out the trolls had incredible strength.

Once the evil began crossing the valley, the fae's would use their powers - alongside the elves using arrows - to take out as much of the evil as they could.

"Duff, Tuff and Fluff. The front area is yours to pound." Gruff said gesturing to the land before him. "Buff and I will work on this area."

No one disagreed with Gruff. So the trolls began pounding.

"You hear their names right? It's extremely comical." Abel said to Kai, his expression holding amusement. Kai shrugged.

Abel seemed to always be in a bright mood, even when the atmosphere seemed grim. Kai hoped that the pending battle didn't change that.

Trees fell as the trolls began pounding the land with their fists. Dust began clouding the area, but barely, as the snow dampened it.

"Garett won't make it here soon enough will he?" Abel asked.

There was no doubt that Garett wouldn't make it here in time. The evil would be upon them very soon. To gather an army, then move it all the way here before the evil began their rampage...it was simply impossible.

"We'll fight for as long as we can." Kai said. He couldn't give Abel false hope.

After about a few hours, the pounding stopped. The dust cleared. The land that was before them was now beneath them. Kai was amazed.

"Wow." Abel exclaimed beside him, some others also murmuring their pleasure at the troll's work.

It was perfect for their attack, Kai thought. Then Kai wondered how the trolls would come up from the valley.

"Stand back." The Chief said. Everyone pulled back a little.

Then Gruff jumped from where he was in the pummeled land and landed at the chief's former position. The other trolls followed suit.

It seemed like the trolls had several tricks up their sleeves.

"What now?" Gruff asked, his tone snarling as usual.

"Now we wait." The Chief replied calmly.

Everyone pulled back, some resting on trees, others walking around the area.

Abel went to Amish who stood with Xander. Kai could almost feel Xander's anger as he stomped off, leaving Abel and Amish smiling and conversing with each other.

Wait no. Kai could feel Xander's anger. It was a seething thing.

So now he could feel the emotions of others. It wasn't any help in battle. And he couldn't even control it.

He wasn't sure it was Xander's anger he was feeling now.

Kai unsheathed heros and sat down against a tree. He picked up a sharp stone and began honing the blade, carefully making sure he didn't leave any ugly scratches.