ct-15 No more fretting

After Queen Esther left Kai, he went to his house, knowing the princess wouldn't want his presence.

He laid on his comfortable bed, thinking about everything Queen Esther had said.

He was so confused. He finally admitted to himself that he cared for Katherine but what did that change.

He was still a former assassin who could flee the castle at anytime with or without permission.

He was still broken from the loss of Mara. He felt admitting to himself he had feelings for Katherine was a betrayal to Mara.

And Katherine was the princess of Arocelli. He was not a Prince or lord. He was a man hell bent on revenge.

But the Queen was right. He needed to speak with the princess.

Kai snapped out of his thoughts to find it was already night. Past eight to be exact. Estella had dropped a tray of food for him some time ago. Now it sat on the living room table, cold.

Kai put on brown pants and a free black shirt. It was cold outside but most times it was as though he was impervious to it. He wanted to be as comfortable as possible.

He didn't carry heros, but instead settled for daggers he hid in his boot.

Then he went to the Princess's house.

Kai made to knock on the door but the two guards who were always there blocked it with their bodies.

"Sorry guardian." one of them said "the lady princess instructed us to not let you in." The guard did not look Kai in the eye.

Kai often wondered what rumors went around the castle that made him so uncomfortable to be around. Well except Sebastian who's form never wavered, even under his intense gaze.

He looked at the two guards. Knock them out? No. That wasn't the most reasonable option.

"The Queen asked me to check on the princess." Kai said. The guards shifted uncomfortably on their feet.
"I wonder how bad the punishment for disobeying a Queen's order is?" Kai said, folding his arms.

"Oh well." Kai said, spreading his arms wide and then dropping them. "I guess you'll find out."

Kai made to turn when the other guard spoke.

"Umm, Guardian...Umm, I suppose since it's an order from the Queen, we can't stop you." The guard said while the other nodded his agreement.

"I'm glad you think so." Kai said, then knocked on the door. Julia opened the door less than a minute later. Kai thought he would have to explain himself but she just waved him in.

Kai stepped into the foyer and Julia led him to the living room.

"She's in her bedroom." Julia said, then silently left the house. Kai guessed Julia was close enough to the princess to sense something was wrong.

Kai walked up to the princess' bedroom door and knocked on it. There was no reply.

"Hey Katherine." Kai said.

"Go away Kai." was the princess' reply.

"Can we talk? Can I come in?" Kai asked. She didn't reply.

Talking wasn't his strong suit. Fighting was more like it. But he'd make this work.

"I'm coming in now." Kai said, and then in a bold move, opened the door and walked in. Katherine's bedroom wasn't what he expected.

It was painted a soft cream, the bed wasn't overly large but seemed decent enough, there was a plush rug on the floor, just next to the bed, that looked so comfortable he could lay on it. And there were books everywhere. On a table in a corner, on the floor, on her bed.