ct-5 Into the woods

Garett's eyes cracked open the moment the sunlight upon him intensified. He was beyond uncomfortable and realized he was laying on the ground in a forest.

He sat upright and tried to remember his location. This was the forest after the kingdom of Mohja that led to the other side, the hell they just escaped.

He didn't think the staff given to him by the three strange beings would work, the staff that was still in his hand now. He didn't understand a lot of things right now. Roudog woke next.

"Mother of all headaches." he said then scowled deeply when his eyes landed on Garett.

He quickly ran to Sharaya who was stirring awake while Garett walked to Cen and gave her shoulder a slight rub. She jerked awake, dried tears on her cheeks.

Sharaya on the other hand jerked awake screaming, then quieted down to sobs in the arms of Roudog.

Roudog set her down gently, walked over to Garett and punched him in the face.

"Roudog." Sharaya said softly. Garett saw the blow coming and took it knowing it wasn't close to what he deserved.

"I warned you you stupid cunt!" he spat angrily "I told you going to a place where no one comes back from was a bad idea, but you didn't listen. You got three of ours killed!"

"I'm sorry." Garett said looking at his hands instead of the face of anyone.

"Did you know Camren had a daughter hmm?! A daughter who expects her mother to be back soon! But you got her killed! You got them all killed!"

"I'm sorry." Garett said again "I'm sorry." he continued saying.

And as he said it he knew he wasn't referring to Roudog but the three people whose blood was now on his hands. Abe, Blue and Camren. Camren was probably not the only one with family. Abe and Blue must have also had people or things they cared about but now they were dead and it was all his fault.

Their screams in his head would be a reminder of his mistake. He fell to his knees then, fighting to hold the tears back.

"I'm sorry." he kept saying.

Cen came then and hugged him. She didn't talk much but she was a brilliant thief of just sixteen years, Six years younger than him.

She looked at Roudog's snarling face and spoke.

"We knew the other side was unsafe when we decided to go, Garett does not take the blame for everything so lay off." Her voice was definite.

Roudog sneered and went back to Sharaya who was still sobbing on the ground. Garett's guilt did not relent under the compassion of Cen.

They scavenged what was left of their food in the bag packs they didn't drop. Dried meat with some berries. Then they walked the rest of the day till the sun had almost set.

The ball given to him by the mysts - the name he had decided to address the three creatures who helped them with the staff- felt cold against his chest.

When he checked it along the way, it's previously shining blue had gone dull. If he decided to take all the mysts had said seriously, then the six kingdoms were in serious danger, unless he found the one destined to have the ball. An impossible search it would be.

"Look." Sharaya said. Up ahead was what looked to be a cabin in bad shape. Most probably abandoned by a hunter.

"Let's check it out." Garett said

"You don't give orders anymore." Roudog replied coldly.

"No I don't." said Garett "So I'm suggesting we go in there and see if there's a decent fire place before we freeze to death."