ct-25 Heading for the gala

Garett, Esther and Viktor made their way to Guresque. After exiting the forest, Viktor had led them to a wealthy horse trader who was in debt to him.

The horse trader gave them two healthy horses and food for the road. Viktor was indeed important, even though everything about him said evil.

Garett tried Viktor's mind occasionally, finding that the fog cleared slowly. It would seem Babayega's power over his mind was only temporary. But even behind the fog was Viktor's mental wall. As strong as Kai's.

Now it had been two weeks of traveling, Esther riding with Garett on one of the horses. They took care not to overtire the horses. They once rested at an inn, paying with the silvers Viktor had found in several pockets in his tunic.

It was now dark. They rode through the forest that bordered Guresque and Belvedere. Garett spotted a good area to rest.

It had a boulder serving as a small shelter which would be useful if it began snowing.

"Let's rest here for the night." Garett said.

Viktor gathered sticks while Garett started a fire using rocks and leaves that were barely dry due to the weather. Esther peered at Garett curiously.

Of course she did. She was probably wondering why he didn't just use his powers to start the fire.

A half hour later, they had eaten. Garett watched the fire crackle. Even without sensing Viktor's mind, he knew Viktor was staring at Esther.

"You could look anywhere else." Esther said, now glaring at Viktor.

"But no sight pleases me more." Viktor said with a teasing smile.

Really?

"Ugh." Esther groaned, rolling her eyes. "You're unbelievable." She said.

Viktor chuckled darkly.

"It's another day's ride to Guresque. We should get some sleep." Garett said, taking up a stick and pushing other sticks closer to the fire.

"Always so serious Garett. Loosen up a bit." Viktor said. His accent drawling as mischief lit up his eyes.

"I'd be a fool to let my guard down around you."

"If I wanted to kill you, you wouldn't see me coming."

"As is your nature."

"What do you know about my nature?" Viktor asked with brows raised high, looking intrigued.

"You're nature is despicable. You're despicable." Garett replied.

"Oh? So because you don't kill people, your nature is so perfect?" Viktor asked, his smug look still glued to his face.

"I didn't kill my brothers lover." Garett shot back.

Garett must have struck home for some reason because for the second time, Viktor's smug smile and cocky appearance all dropped. The first time it did that was when it was about his mother.

Garett didn't feel guilty or regret the words he said, but he didn't expect Viktor to show emotion towards his actions of years ago.

Viktor got up.

"I'll keep watch. Just in case." he said then began walking away.

"Where are you going?" Esther asked.

"To patrol the area. You both can sleep." Viktor said then walked off.

"He killed Kai's lover? Wait...Mara?" Esther asked.