Chapter 4: The Clever One

FATE/LÚNASA FÓMHAR

"August Harvest"

Chapter 4: The Clever One

After waking up from his nap and chatting with Medb, Cuchulainn decided to get up and see how Da Vinci's research was progressing. After all, the whole point of him and Connla going to the Fifth Singularity's remnants was to procure some data for her regarding Aisling interfering with the child Lancer's Rayshifts. Da Vinci was confident that she only needed them to go once, but he didn't share in her enthusiasm.

The door to the workshop whirred open, and the genius inventor discovered Cuchulainn stepping through while Medb eagerly hugged his arm like some lovey-dovey girlfriend. He tried to shake her off a couple of times, but her grip was simply too strong, so he just gave up and let her tag along. Da Vinci grinned as she said, "Oh, look who it is. I didn't think I'd get paid a visit by everyone's favorite Celtic couple."

"Save your shipping fantasies for another time," Cuchulainn grumbled bitterly. "You know why I'm here."

"You bet I do. You just caught me in the middle of my work actually."

"So did you get enough data to use?"

"I'm parsing through the numbers, but I think there's something I can do with this. I just need some time though."

"Fine. As long as you got a plan, then I'm satisfied."

He was about to turn and leave, but Da Vinci blurted, "Hold on a second, mister. There's something else I want to talk with you about."

"Huh?" he faced her while giving her the stink eye. "What do you want?"

"While you and Connla were busy in the Singularity, I thought I'd give your doll body a little tune-up."

"The hell? In what universe does a plushie need any sort of 'tune-up' beyond a little stitching?"

"Now, now, hear me out," the inventor smirked coyly as she showed them the Mini-Cu doll on her desk. "The previous model was just a prototype that Connla could carry around, but I knew it would be an encumbrance when she needed to focus on fighting."

"Guess you got a point."

"So now this model comes with improved functionality."

"In what way?"

"Why not stick your Spirit Origin inside it and give it a go?"

Cuchulainn snorted in annoyance, then reverted to his incorporeal mode and transferred himself into the toy. This time though, something felt different. He could feel his limbs and tail adjusting to the miniature body, whereas before he was basically 'stuck in place'. The toy's eyes visibly blinked a few times, then wriggled about on the table before sitting up and stretching.

"Oh... my... god..." Medb gasped under her breath, covering her mouth with her hands while blushing profusely.

"Hm? Am I actually moving around?" Mini-Cu wondered as he inspected himself.

Da Vinci giggled. "That's right! This model is now mobile! Now you don't have to worry about Connla having to hold you while in the middle of a fierce battle!"

"Hm-hm... For someone as flighty as you, I have to say that this isn't bad."

"Why, thank you very much. I thought it would be something nice to help her cheer up once she wakes up. Not only that, but I have some future plans in store for Mini-Cu that will add combat functionality."

"That'd be fantastic," he smirked. "Let me see if I can use Gae Bolg in this form."

He raised his stubby little arm up and generated the deep violet version of his spear, now much smaller to accommodate for his size. Unable to resist it any longer, Medb suddenly darted across the room to try and snatch him up. He suddenly got into throwing position and hurled Gae Bolg at her head, which she had to dodge by crashing onto the floor. The weapon continued on its trajectory until it hit the center of a nearby dartboard.